KOREA: Seoul Racecourse – Sunday April 7, 2019
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) MENI SPEED has shown progress over his three starts so far and was 3rd last time out at this distance three weeks ago. She can settle behind the early lead here and can finish strongly. (1) GEOTAP is a little more experienced and has a decent record over this distance. She too was 3rd last start, despite a troubled start, and should be close here. (5) GWANGPOK JUHAENG was 7th in the same race but had previously registered a 2nd place at the same distance and can be competitive today as can (6) MAIN EVENT and (8) GREEN PARK.
|Selections||(3) Meni Speed (1) Geotap (5) Gwangpok Juhaeng (6) Main Event|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) VICTORY KING has steadily improved over three outings so far and was a more than useful 2nd at this distance last start despite getting his run checked in the closing stages. He should take some beating here. (7) CHAMP K has a 3rd place to his name at this distance and can be a threat while (2) NONSTOP WINNING will need to improve but can be respected after 3rd place in an admittedly slow time at this distance last start. The solitary debut-maker (5) COIN BLADE has looked competent enough in trials and can be a factor first-up here.
|Selections||(3) Victory King (7) Champ K (5) Coin Blade (2) Nonstop Winning|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only in this maiden. (3) SINBU enters following a 3rd and a 4th from her latest two starts, both at the distance. She should be on pace here and could well have too much. (4) STAR SOCKS and (9) ANYANG LEOPARD both put in improved performances, finishing 4th in their respective latest starts and both have placing claims while (7) ROYAL SHALOM got sent back to trial after a disappointing effort last time and came through the subsequent heat looking much better. The main threat to the favourite, however, looks to be one of the first-timers, namely (8) MIGHTY LUCK. She ran 2nd in a trial in a decent time and this looks an excellent race to start off in.
|Selections||(3) Sinbu (8) Mighty Luck (4) Star Socks (7) Royal Shalom|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) GEUM ROYAL is up in class after registering his maiden win at the second time of asking a month ago. He made all that day and while he will need to improve, he should be competitive. Likely favourite though is (4) SA SA. An impressive maiden winner last November, he’s found his feet at this level and was 3rd in a stronger race than this last month. He’ll be on pace and could be hard to beat. The very experienced (10) PARTY POWER was 2nd at class and distance three weeks ago and should be in the placing hunt again as should (2) MY HAWK and (8) ROYAL BRONZE.
|Selections||(4) Sa Sa (6) Geum Royal (10) Party Power (2) My Hawk|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
This is a very nice-looking race but (2) DOKDO YA is the slight pick. He was 2nd in a fast contest on an admittedly wet track at the distance last start and returns after a couple of months off with strong claims to go one better. It won’t be easy. (7) SINGGEUREOUN TIME and (9) HAMYANG SANSAM are both up in class following impressive maiden wins last time out. Both should be competitive here with Singgeureoun Time perhaps the more progressive of the two right now. (11) WONDERFUL RUBY actually beat Singgeureoun Time on the way to her own maiden victory in January. She followed up with 2nd place on her first try at this class in March and can be a danger here too. The other “wonderful”, (10) WONDERFUL HENNESSY ran 3rd on her first try at class and distance six weeks ago and is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Dokdo Ya (7) Singgeureoun Time (10) Wonderful Hennessy (11) Wonderful Ruby|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) DIA ROAD was a five-length winner in debut at this distance on March 2nd, coming from off the pace and running on strongly. She’s up in class today but the manner of that victory must put her firmly in the frame for a repeat. The primary danger is (4) JANGSAN FLY. He’s up in class too but is more experienced with his maiden victory – which had been coming – arriving on his fifth start. He’s a front-runner and could be hard to get past. (2) LUCKY SOCHEON and (3) HANIL DALBIT are proven money-winners at this level and should be there or thereabouts while the wildcard is (8) CHOEGANG STAR, who returns to action for the first time since last November, and absolutely blitzed late March trial.
|Selections||(7) Dia Road (4) Jangsan Fly (8) Choegang Star (2) Lucky Socheon|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 10, 12|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(11) WONDERFUL EVIL ran 5th in the Sports Seoul Cup a month ago getting into a bit of trouble early and giving the leaders a big head start. He flew home that day and stretching out to 1700M could be ideal for him. He’s the pick. (2) HAPPY MAUNTAIN is a class and distance winner and while his three subsequent outings haven’t been spectacular, he’s a solid campaigner and shouldn’t be far away here. (7) DONG JAK can have a line drawn through his latest effort at 1300M and given another chance here. (1) WONDERFUL LUCKY and (6) BEST VICTORY look best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Wonderful Evil (7) Dong Jak (2) Happy Mauntain (6) Best Victory|
|Next Best||1, 3, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 8: Class4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner at this class over 1200M last start, (12) BACK TO BACK can indeed secure back to back victories here. He came from off the pace to finish off very nicely last time and while the wide draw may not be ideal, it can be overcome. (3) FOREVER WINNER’s manners were somewhat questionable, but he still managed to overcome a couple of these on his way to victory at class and distance on March 9th. That was a big uptick in form, and he carries more weight today but can be respected. (9) TOHAMSAN POWER was favourite for that race but only managed 5th on what was his first start in a couple of months. He most likely needed that race and should improve here. (5) BRILLIANT came from well off the pace to snatch a narrow class and distance victory three weeks ago. He has an additional 3kg to deal with today and will need some luck but can’t be overlooked. (10) RULE OF SUM looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Back To Back (9) Tohamsan Power (5) Brilliant (3) Forever Winner|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) EAGLES GRIFTER steps back in trip after a very useful 3rd over 1700M four weeks ago. He remains a maiden but looks nicely in here and with a good start, could well be the one to beat. (9) LITTLE BOY FLASH was further back in that same 1700M race and should be much happier dropped to 1300M today. (7) DAEBAK HAENGJIN is a maiden too but races for the first time since a strong class and distance 2nd place just before Christmas. How sharp he is first-up may be open to question, but this should suit. (3) GREAT LEE continues the theme of those who may be more comfortable back in trip today while (4) RAON JAMES was overmatched in the Sports Seoul Cup last time and potentially finds himself entered in a suitable race for the first time since winning at this distance last November. Improvement is a real possibility.
|Selections||(5) Eagles Grifter (4) Raon James (9) Little Boy Flash (7) Daebak Haengjin|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 11|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) THE KING ran out a good winner at domestic class 3 over 1900M on March 10th and while he does carry top weight here, there looks to be more to come. He’ll settle in the middle of the pack and could be too strong late on. Five of these raced each other at this class over 1700M on March 3rd with (11) SAMSAM VICTORY finishing the best of them that day in 2nd place. He’ll be a danger again as will that day’s 3rd place-getter (1) HAWAII BOSS, still a maiden but a prolific placer. In 4th in that race was (12) KING POSE and he too should be looking to at least match that finish today. Among the rest, (7) MR. TURNER is up in class after a solid win at 1700M last start and should be competitive here too.
|Selections||(5) The King (11) Samsam Victory (1) Hawaii Boss (12) King Pose|
|Next Best||7, 11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 11, 12|
Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(9) CHEONGDAM JEWANG has finished as runner-up in his latest two, both at class and distance but both times he’s had the beating of a number of these and really should be going one better today. (3) PLACES TO GO has been behind him both times finishing 4th and 3rd and once more should get close although again, he is giving a lot of weight away and will likely have to settle for a place. (6) DANGDAE GEOLJAK beat three of these on his way to a creditable 3rd place on his first try at this class back in January. He returns to action for the first time since and should be in the placing frame. Meanwhile (8) GLOBAL BANK was well back behind Cheongdam Jewang on his first try at the top level but lost ground at the start after stumbling and can be given another chance today. (4) LION ROCK, up in class today after a good win at the distance a month ago is another firmly in the frame.
|Selections||(9) Cheongdam Jewang (4) Lion Rock (3) Places To Go (8) Global Bank|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8|