Korea: Seoul Racecourse – Saturday September 8, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) GOLD SEUTAK beat (11) SURFING POINT as the pair of them came home 3rd and 4th over this distance on July 7th. Gold Seutak has raced once since then finishing 6th in what was actually a very tight finish four weeks ago. Surfing Point could turn the tables today. The one they both need to beat is (2) FAPP CAT. She looks like she is finally figuring things out and recorded her best finish to date when 2nd over his trip in a similarly week race to this three weeks ago. She’s not very quick but might not need to be here. (5) SCARLET PERFECT also has a 2nd place to her name and could be involved while among the three first-time starters, (1) STRIDE UP looks the pick at this stage.
|Selections||(11) Surfing Point (2) Fapp Cat (4) Gold Seutak (1) Stride Up|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
An all the way winner on debut in June, (4) SHANGHAI JORDAN could only manage 3rd place as favourite when stepped up to this class for her second appearance at the end of July. Although she got within three-lengths of the winner she was slowly away and never looked like being a threat. She’s drawn well today and should be returning to the winner’s circle. (8) MISS PYEONGCHON ran a solid 3rd place last time over 1300M and drops back in trip today. She’ll be a danger. (10) PERFECT SOCKS is a winner at this level already but has been lightly races since. She last ran in early June finishing 4th of 8 at this distance and looks nicely in here. (1) DOUBLE A and (3) VICTORY STAR are others who can compete for the placings.
|Selections||(4) Shanghai Jordan (8) Miss Pyeongchon (10) Perfect Socks (1) Double A|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens and just two of them, (4) JEOKTO BIMA and (6) PARRHESIA, have raced before. Of the pair, Jeokto Bima was an improved 4th on her second start on August 19th and she will be among the favourites here. First-time starters are likely to be favoured though, principally (3) TRI THUNDER, who romped home by seven-lengths in a trial at the end of July. If he runs similarly today, he should be able to get to the lead and maintain it all the way through. (7) BARAMEUL GEURIDA also looked competent in trials, going round comfortably in a decent time in mid-August and he can be given a chance first up, as can (11) WONDERFUL DIXIE.
|Selections||(3) Tri Thunder (7) Barameul Geurida (4) Jeokto Bima (11) Wonderful Dixie|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 10|
Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner of two from four, (7) DOKDO JIGI returns from five months off, up in class but looking ready to add to his win-column. He looked good in a fast trial in August and should have too much here. (9) L CAR has won three out of six and while he put in a lackluster effort at class and distance a month ago is worth another try today. (4) CHEONHA HYEONGGUK ran a creditable enough 5th over 1300M on August 11th and drops slightly back in trip today. He won at this distance on July and should be in with at least a chance of the places here. (2) OUR CAT and (6) HEUNG BARAM look best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Dokdo Jigi (9) L Car (4) Cheonha Hyeongguk (2) Our Cat|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
He’s finished 4th and 2nd in his two starts to date and (3) CHANGSEONG LUCKY shouldn’t require much in the way of luck to make his maiden breakthrough here. He can get off to a fast start and lead all the way. (4) SPHAERA runs best when she gets on pace early and starting from just outside the favourite, that’s what she’ll be trying to do today. She could stay on for a place. (5) HARD PRINCESS and (6) GEUMBIT HWANHYANG both come in off the back of fair efforts and they too should be looking for a place. (1) GANGSANUI ACHIM the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(3) Changseong Lucky (5) Hard Princess (6) Geumbit Hwanhyang (4) Sphaera|
|Fast Start||3, 4|
Race 6: Class Open “Horse Racing Ireland Trophy” (1400M) Allowance / KRW 100 Million
Valuable prize here and lots enter in good form but it would be a surprise if (9) GALAXY POWER didn’t run out the winner. There was no disgrace in being beaten six lengths by the excellent Gaon Champ over 1200M last start and while he is yet to win at this distance, he ran a close 2nd in the CHIA Trophy in June. (3) CALLIOPE was 4th behind Galaxy Power in April but has come on since then, winning his latest two including one at this distance. He’ll be on pace early and can be a danger to the favourite. (14) CLEAN UP TEUKGEUP was an also-ran in the Korean Derby but returned to form running a close 2nd over 1800M in July. He drops back in trip today and is in with a chance. (1) YAHO SMART CAT was a good winner at this distance last start and will join Calliope on the early speed while (12) WONDERFUL CHAMPION is up in class following a victory at 1700M last start. His win record doesn’t exactly stand out but he has plenty of near-misses too, each time behind good horses – he may well have another one of those today.
|Selections||(9) Galaxy Power (3) Calliope (1) Yaho Smart Cat (14) Clean Up Teukgeup|
|Next Best||12, 8, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7, 8|
Race 7: Class Open “Macau Jockey Club Trophy” (1200M) Allowance / KRW 100 Million
(7) MIRACLE HANSEN ran out a four-length winner over this distance in a good race at class 4 three weeks ago. That followed a pair of near-misses and today she can get close to the early speed and continue her good form. (10) BIG EAR ran 4th in a tougher race than this on July 28th and has every chance of bettering that here. (2) MONEY CAMP has won two in a row since returning from three months off in June and while both of those were at 1000M, there is every reason to hope he can go well once more. (8) PANGPANG GARI beat a couple of these on her way to fifth place at 1400M last start. She’s never actually raced at this distance but has won three times over 1000M and can be a threat. (1) LEAD QUEEN and (9) AMENDA are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Miracle Hansen (10) Big Ear (2) Money Camp (8) Pangpang Gari|
|Next Best||1, 9, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 7, 8|
Race 8: Class Open “Hong Kong Jockey Club Trophy” (1800M) Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(1) MASK was 4th in the KRA Cup Mile, 2nd in the Korean Derby and 4th in the Minister’s Cup leaving him ranked 3rd among three-year-olds in Korea this year and the best at Seoul. This is a tough race but he is the pick to return to the winner’s circle for the first time since Seoul’s Classic trial race in March. (3) CHOINMA was 3rd in the Derby and 6th in the Minister’s Cup and while he has more to find, can be competitive too but a couple of the older horses look set to provide the sternest tests. (6) NASCA PRINCE ran 2nd in the Ilgan Sports Cup at this distance in July having a month earlier been 3rd in the Sports Chosun over 2000M. With Manoel Nunes on board for the first time he could go even better. Five-year-old (2) TWO KAY enters in the best form of his career having won his latest three. He’s made all to win them easily and is likely to set the pace here. (7) ULTRA ROCKET the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(1) Mask (6) Nasca Prince (2) Two Kay (3) Choinma|
Race 9: Class Open “JRA Trophy” (1800M) Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(1) EAST PALOS enters with two wins and a 2nd place from his latest three runs at 1700M and 2000M. He generally settles behind the early speed and is a strong finisher. (3) ROAD WINNER returned from almost six months off to step up to this distance on July 28th and score by a full seven-lengths. He’s won three of five so far and looks to have plenty more to offer. It may be a bigger step up though for (2) PALPAL VICTORY, who won his first three before finding it harder finishing 3rd 1700M last time out. (8) THUNDER LIGHT was 3rd behind two decent ones at the distance last time out, beating (9) SAMJUNG TAPIT into 4th. Both will fancy their chances of getting on the board here. (10) TIZ RUN comes in off the back of a useful 2nd place over 2000M and is another one in the hunt or some prize money.
|Selections||(1) East Palos (3) Road Winner (8) Thunder Light (10) Tiz Run|
|Next Best||9, 2, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap “Singapore Turf Club Trophy” / KRW 75 Million
(1) MUNHAK JOY won his first two and while he saw his 100% record come to an end by a surprising margin of eight-lengths at the hands of Panorama Show on August 11th, he should have far too much for this field. He’ll most likely lead all the way. The rest are all going to have to improve on recent form with (8) GOLDEN BLACK perhaps the most capable of pushing the favourite. His latest two have been a little indifferent but he still has scope for improvement. (2) GOLD HORAH has plenty of experience and should be confident of finding the money in this kind of company while (3) JALOUSIE and (11) BADA CHIEF, the latter 6th behind Munhak Joy last time, are others who can look to place.
|Selections||(1) Munhak Joy (8) Golden Black (11) Bada Chief (2) Gold Horah|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9|
Race 11: Class 3 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small field here and (5) FLYING MUNNING returned from a few months off to run 3rd in a better race than this on August 12th. It was at 1000M but he has finished in the money at this distance in the past and the Munnings gelding could be getting his maiden win today. (1) KING MESSENGER was a winner at this class over 1200M in May and has run creditably in two tougher races since and he has strong claims too. (7) EOUL DEOUL too enters with recent form reading positively and can at least make a place. (2) NASCAUI BYEOL and likely front-runner (4) GEUMEUN JUOK are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Flying Munning (1) King Messenger (7) Eoul Deoul (2) Nascaui Byeol|
Race 12: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Two horses enter here up in class having won on their respective debuts and they are going to be our top two picks. (9) BAEKSAN MENIQUEEN ran out a five-length winner over 1000M on July 21st. She’ll be on pace here and the extra distance shouldn’t be an issue. She should win. (10) MYEONGPUM CHUKJE’s debut was on August 12th and it was at today’s distance. He came from off the pace to win by two lengths and will try similar tactics again. This is harder but it may work. (8) HANIL GANGJA could upset both of them. A close 2nd at this class over 1000M last time out, this is his first try at the distance but he has won at 1200M. (1) MAIN RACER and (3) HUIMANG STAR are others to look out for.
|Selections||(9) Baeksan Meniqueen (10) Myeongpum Chukje (8) Hanil Gangja (1) Main Racer|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|