The scene is set for the $125,000 TAB Battle of the Bush Final on Sky Racing Tattersall’s Tiara Day at the historic Eagle Farm Racecourse, following the final series qualifier held in Cairns on Monday.
Final acceptances were taken at 10am today to give connections the necessary time to travel to Brisbane for the final. Racing Queensland’s 2019 TAB Battle of the Bush series kicked off at Gladstone on April 20 and visited 16 towns across Queensland to decide the final field.
The Battle of the Bush continues to go from strength-to-strength after becoming an overnight juggernaut last year. In addition, three Queensland-bred country horses will have the chance to win more than $100,000 for their connections in the Final thanks to Racing Queensland’s QTIS scheme.
Racing Queensland General Manager of Thoroughbreds Simon Stout said the 2019 TAB Battle of the Bush Series was among the most anticipated events in the history of Queensland country racing.
“The Battle of the Bush has given trainers right across Queensland something to aspire to,” he said.
“Last year’s final was one of the highlights on the Queensland racing calendar. With significant prize money increases, generous sponsorship from TAB and enhanced marketing activity, we expect the atmosphere for next weekend’s final to be nothing short of electric.”
Horses from 10 towns from as far north as Atherton, to as far south as Dalby will arrive in Brisbane next week to rub shoulders with some of the superstars of Australian racing on a Group 1 race day.
Connections will again be treated to a special barrier draw function to be broadcast live across Australia on Sky Racing, and a ‘Welcome to Brisbane’ function at the Cattleman’s Bar at the RNA Showgrounds on Friday. Owners and trainers will also be treated to a race day experience at Eagle Farm to soak up all the atmosphere on the day of the final.
The 2019 TAB Battle of the Bush Final will be run over 1200m with a maximum field of 16 runners. The final is worth $125,000 ($102,500) to the winner. In addition, there is a $30,000 QTIS Bonus for the winner should they be QTIS-eligible.
2019 TAB Battle of the Bush Final Qualifiers, Trainers and Home Town
1. Fab’s Cowboy – Bevan Johnson (Miles)
2. Bush Caviar – Henry Forster (Ilfracombe)***
3. Marksfield – Matt Kropp (Dalby)
4. Kakakenny – Rodney Little (Ilfracombe)
5. Deadly Choices – Damien Flinter (Mount Isa)
6. Stellar Knight – Olivia Cairns (Mackay)
7. Tycoon Zip – Craig Smith (Roma) ***
8. Music Scene – David Reynolds (Dalby)
9. Machu Picchu – Brian Laherty (Nanango)
10. Malibu Affair – Craig Smith (Roma)
11. Sweet Surprise – John Manzelmann (Mackay)***
12. Hanover Square – Bevan Johnson (Miles)
13. Mia Host – Damien Rideout (Thangool)
14. Split The Atom – Bob Burow (Mount Isa)
15. Little Stryker – Renee Schluenz (Cairns)+++
16. Kahuna – Nippy Seymour (Sarina)+++
EMERGENCIES: 17. Gendebien (Wayne Baker), 18. Galea Warrior (Bob Burow), 19. All Host (Darryl Gardiner), 20. Bel Seleva (Glenn Richardson), 21. Still The Same (Bevan Johnson), 22. Go Get Sum (Phyllis Kalinowski). Ballots: Timetus, Lollipop Rocket.
***Horses who finished second in their qualifier where the winner had previously qualified for the final.
+++Despite winning qualifiers, Far North QLD horses Bold Avenue and How Can I Help