KOREA: Busan Racecourse – Saturday December 29, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Twelve previously unraced juveniles go here. Australian trainer Peter Wolsley is on 499 Korean winners and he may not have to wait too long for number 500 as his (12) MR. AFLEET looked as good as any in trials and is set to start as favourite here. (11) NAEGA SAEGANGJA posted an identical time in his heat and is another to watch out for from a wide gate while (8) EUNGWONHAE was the only one of the twelve to actually win a trial and will therefore have some supporters. (1) SMART WINNER and (3) TRUE SIGNATURE are others who will be expected to show some ability first-up.
|Selections||(12) Mr. Afleet (11) Naega Saegangja (8) Eungwonhae (3) True Signature|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) SHE JUST QUEENDOM exceeded expectations when 2nd on debut on November 2nd. She began steadily but ran on very well and a similar performance today will see her right in the hunt. One of several who have had interrupted careers so far, (11) MAKGANG YEOGEOL looks to be figuring things out with a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two outings. (7) SUMMIT TODAY raced three times at the end of 2017, securing two 3rd place finishes and finally returns here. She’s half-sister to a couple of very good ones and trialled up competently in November. (8) HWANGEUMBITMASENG and (9) SWEET PARK, the latter returning for the first time since February but who trialled well two weeks ago, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) She Just Queendom (7) Summit Today (11) Makgang Yeogeol (9) Sweet Park|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(10) MAGIC FLYING has shown progression across four starts so far and while his 3rd place over this distance last start wasn’t against the stiffest opposition imaginable, neither is this and with a bit more progress today, he can win. (2) HARVEST SEASON returned from five months out to run a decent enough 6th of 11 at the end of November and should have come on for that run. He’ll likely be on the early speed with (4) ULSAN JANGGUN and (5) LUCKY NUMBER ONE, both of whom have scope for improvement too. (11) HARVEST GOLD weakened on his first try at this distance last start having shown prominently throughout the race and he is another who can go better here.
|Selections||(10) Magic Flying (2) Harvest Season (4) Ulsan Janggun (11) Harvest Gold|
|Next Best||5, 7, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) I’M YOUR LEMON was a battling winner over this distance at the end of October and then went down into 2nd by a similarly narrow margin on what was his first try at this class on November 30th. He’s well drawn to get to the lead here and could well return to the winner’s circle. (12) MALIBU RULER remains a maiden after twenty-six attempts but hasn’t been too far away in recent efforts. He drops back to the minimum trip for the first time in a while and although his slow starts are a concern, he can go close again. (3) MUCHO and (5) FASHION WANG both struggled on their first attempts at this level last time out, but both can improve today. (6) B.K. UNO and (7) ONE CHANCE, the latter a narrow winner on debut last month, are others who should be in the frame.
|Selections||(4) I’m Your Lemon (12) Malibu Ruler (6) B.K. Uno (5) Fashion Wang|
|Next Best||7, 3, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) GOOD DANCER has a 2nd place and a win from two starts so far and that sees him up in class for the first time here. He made all to win at this distance six weeks ago and Bart Rice’s colt has every chance of making an immediate follow-up here. Both (5) YEONGSEONG ACE and (11) TANGENT put in good efforts on their respective first tries at this class following maiden wins. The former came home 4th at this distance while Tangent steps up in trip for the first time Both should be on pace early and both should be close. (3) SISEON GANGTAL is up in class following a two-length win over this distance last start and should be competitive. (1) SONGAK MYEONGJANG looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Good Dancer (5) Yeongseong Ace (11) Tangent (3) Siseon Gangtal|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 11|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner of two from five so far, (9) MIGHTY POWER took his chance in the Breeders’ Cup, Korea’s top juvenile race, on December 2nd and acquitted himself very handily, coming home in 4th. It’s perhaps a little surprising seeing him drop right back in trip considering he has won at a mile, but he could well have the beating of these. (4) SINBIHAN BARAM is a year older but also has two wins from five, getting the second of those with an impressive three-length score on his return from layoff a month ago. He’s up in class but should be competitive. (11) FELAROF won three races in a row between April and June but hasn’t been seen since. Nevertheless, he looked good when trialling in mid-November and can’t be ruled out here. He made all in each of his wins and while that will be harder today, he’s got a chance. (2) SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK and (6) THUNDER ALLEY are others who should go close.
|Selections||(9) Mighty Power (11) Felarof (4) Sinbihan Baram (6) Thunder Alley|
|Next Best||2, 12, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) BLACK ARROW has defied the odds in both his latest two to record comfortable victories. The latest was at class and distance on November 11th and while he does carry a little more weight today, he warrants considerably more respect this time. Plenty will be prepared to take him on though as this is a good race. Both (2) CEEYOUDOWNTHETRACK’s two efforts so far have been against stiff opposition and he may just go closer today. (1) BIG RED IJI’s recent form reads well, especially his four-length win last time out at class and distance and he must be taken seriously today. (9) QUEEN OF CAPTAIN was also a good winner last start at 1300M and while she was beaten by (5) VEGA KHAN last time she tried this distance, she can be a factor too. (11) BUGYEONG BOLT is another last time winner who while up in class, is more than capable of repeating.
|Selections||(6) Black Arrow (11) Bugyeong Bolt (2) Ceeyoudownthetrack (9) Queen Of Captain|
|Next Best||1, 5, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9|
Race 8: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(10) MUJEOK YEONGUNG went down to his first defeat last time out in the Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Trophy. It was a disappointing performance as he had run much better than that in his three prior victories and he’s well worth another chance today. (3) RAON JEONSEOL will be a danger. He’s up in class after a good win over this distance amonth ago and looks to have scope for more progress. (4) ADELE STAR and (2) MAPLE CLASSIC came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each other at class and distance on November 30th. Maple Classic was returning to action that day for the first time since May while for Adele Star it was a second consecutive solid performance, and both should be in the frame here. (6) MISS PERFECT is another who saw a winning streak come to an end last time and while 1000M would seem to be her best, she could challenge for the places. (1) SEOGANGDAERO another capable of finding the money at this level.
|Selections||(10) Mujeok Yeongung (2) Maple Classic (4) Adele Star (3) Raon Jeonseol|
|Next Best||6, 1, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 10, 12|
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Four of these raced each other over class and distance on November 18th and it was (9) MORNING KOREA who came out on top that day, grabbing the win by a neck over (1) I’M YOUR MOTHER in 2nd place. A repeat isn’t impossible but he’s up a full 3.5kg in the weights today and therefore we’re going to go with I’m Your Mother to overturn that result. (11) IRON COR is a winner of two from six so far and while he could only manage 3rd when favourite last start, he comes in here after seven weeks off and can get closer. (3) ADELEUI JINJU and (8) MABEOPUI JILJU are others who should be competitive in this company.
|Selections||(1) I’m Your Mother (11) Iron Cor (9) Morning Korea (8) Mabeopui Jilju|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9|
Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(4) NEW YORK MANGCHI may have been disappointing over 1800M two weeks ago but he’s back in trip today and should be a lot more dangerous in what is a really nice-looking race. (9) ICE MARINE’s latest three have all been in Group level company. The last time she ran in a race like this, she was a winner and she can do the same from off the pace here. (3) PERFECT BOSS is up in class after a pair of comfortable victories in his latest two and he’ll be in the frame under a nice light weight. (5) KING OF GLORY has had an interrupted career so far and returns to action today five months after his last start. He was impressive in trials two weeks ago and can go well first-up. With five wins from six, (11) THUNDER FLY has rapidly ascended the classes. Don’t rule him out completely but this is a hard ask.
|Selections||(9) Ice Marine (4) New York Mangchi (5) King Of Glory (3) Perfect Boss|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 8|