Korea: Busan Racecourse – Friday October 5, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) YEONGSEONG STAR was a close 3rd on debut on September 7th, leading for much of the race and she’ll be firm favourite to get her maiden win here. She should get to the front straight from the gate and lead all the way. Having debuted all the way back last October, (5) MORNING BRAVO returned to run a good 2nd at the end of August and along with (3) POWER AMAZING, who has run 3rd and 5th in two outings to date, look to be the main dangers to the favourite. (2) GRADE QUEEN and (6) TONGIL HANGUK are others who have hinted at some ability and can improve.
|Selections||(9) Yeongseong Star (3) Power Amazing (5) Morning Bravo (6) Tongil Hanguk|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
All twelve of these juveniles are racing for the very first time. Thomas Gillespie’s (6) SILLAUI MISO was the most expensive of these ad was the only one to win her trial, prevailing with an all the way effort in a heat in early September. She has solid claims for an in-form stable. Emerging from the same trial, (1) RAON ARES looks to have plenty of potential too. He looked competent in that heat running an unhurried 2nd and is likely to be joining Sillaui Miso on the early pace here. (11) TANGENT also showed some ability in trials, running 2nd in a well-run heat three weeks ago. Further back in that one but doing nothing wrong was (4) LUCKY NUMBER ONE who, coming from Kim Young Kwan’s stable, is bound to be backed. (12) PRECEDE trialed up alongside some very experienced racehorses and didn’t look out of place and he too can go well first-up.
|Selections||(6) Sillaui Miso (1) Raon Ares (11) Tangent (12) Precede|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) SMART BANK came desperately close to getting his maiden win three weeks ago, just going down by a neck at this distance. That continued an encouraging run of recent form and he could well go one better today. (5) SPERO SPERA and (9) SONGAK MYEONGJANG both enter off the back of positive efforts and both should be challenging for at least places here. (2) EL DRAGON returns from a five-month lay-off and trialed up well in mid-September. He’ll be expected to be on the early speed along with (6) WILD CASH, who has two 3rd places among her latest three outings and can look to at least match those today.
|Selections||(8) Smart Bank (5) Spero Spera (9) Songak Myeongjang (6) Wild Cash|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky contest here but (8) CHEONNYEONUI ACHIM was a class and distance winner on September 7th with a couple of these well back behind him and though he carries an additional 3.5kg today, he’s the one they’ll need to beat again. (2) BUGYEONG BOLT enters off the back of a pair of solid 2nd place finishes at 1200M. He’s been runner-up at this distance in the past and can get close today. (6) EURO SHINHWA has a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts at this level since getting his maiden win back in June and should be a danger also. (12) YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE is up in class having registered her maiden win with an all the way score over this distance three weeks ago. While she’ll need to overcome the widest draw today, she looks to have the potential for more.
|Selections||(8) Cheonnyeonui Achim (12) Yeonggwangui Sidae (2) Bugyeong Bolt (6) Euro Shinhwa|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 12|
Race 5: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) RED CLOUD returns to racing for the first time since early March. He raced six times prior to the layoff, finishing 2nd in no fewer than five of them. He looked good winning a trial three weeks ago and this could be his day on what will be his first try at a mile. There’s a bit of a “red” theme about this race. (8) BIG RED IJI ran a good 2nd at this distance on September 9th and should be the main danger. He’ll be ridden patiently and has a strong finish. Just like Red Cloud, (3) AIR BLADE returns from a full thirty weeks off. His solitary win came at this distance and he trialed up positively just last week. (1) USEUNG TEN and (5) MIR KAN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Red Cloud (8) Big Red Iji (3) Air Blade (5) Mir Kan|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 6: Class 6 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) EOMJI CHEOK beat three of these on her way to 3rd place at class and distance on August 31st. She remains a maiden after twelve attempts but she could well put that right here. (1) RARARA came home in 4th place in that race, two-lengths behind Eomji Cheok. Her sole win to date came at this distance and she can be a factor again today. (2) FIRE POINT was further back that day but perhaps didn’t do herself justice and can improve here. Among those who didn’t go in that race, (5) DARK HURACAN wasn’t far away at all when running 5th of 12 at class and distance last time out six weeks ago and could well build on it here.
|Selections||(3) Eomji Cheok (1) Rarara (5) Dark Huracan (2) Fire Point|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3|
Race 7: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) MAY STAR enters off a fourteen-week layoff, prior to which he ran 2nd in consecutive races at class and distance. He’s well drawn to get to the front straight from the gate and if he manages that, he can win this. (1) CHOEGANG FOREST overcame a slow start to run on well for 5th at class and distance on September 2nd and he looks like being one of the primary dangers here, along with (3) GOP DDA, who should be better dropped back in trip today. (6) GRAND HWANHO similarly steps back to the minimum and can come into play, likely challenging May Star for the early lead. (7) PERFECT DIVA races for the first time since last Christmas Eve and trialed reasonably well in mid-September.
|Selections||(5) May Star (3) Gop Dda (1) Choegang Forest (6) Grand Hwanho|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) WINNER CINDY steps up in class having landed her second win from her three latest starts over this distance on September 7th. It will be tougher today but she could well overcome it. (5) QUEEN THE QUEEN races for the first time since running 5th at the distance in mid-July. She could go well coming in fresh today and should be challenging Winner Cindy for the early lead. Last time Queen The Queen raced, she finished a length behind (4) BAENGNYEON SONNIM. The latter has run three times since then with mixed results but remains a danger. He was behind (3) MAKGANG BOLT on his latest start on September 2nd, Makgang Bolt putting in a much improved performance which he can build on here. (1) HOTHAE is inconsistent but can be given another chance today.
|Selections||(5) Queen the Queen (9) Winner Cindy (4) Baengnyeon Sonnim (1) Hothae|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It took (7) THUNDER ALLEY nine goes to achieve his maiden win but he evidently enjoyed it as he promptly followed up with another – both of them at this distance – on August 31st. He’s up in class today though and this looks a much tougher assignment. The favourite will be (4) CLEVER WILLIE. He won two in a row in June and July to get promoted to this class before running a slightly underwhelming 6th on his first try at this level when favourite on September 2nd. That was a slightly better race than this and he’s drawn better today and has every chance of winning. (3) MISS TANK was last on her first try at this level three weeks ago but drops back to the minimum distance today and should be much better. (1) SAENURI CHOEGANG and (9) YEONGGWANGUI FORE are others who could improve on recent showings.
|Selections||(4) Clever Willie (7) Thunder Alley (3) Miss Tank (9) Yeonggwangui Fore|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(8) THUNDER FLY has won two in a row and three from four in total, the latest being a hard-fought win over this distance on August 17th. He’s up in class here but could make it three in a row. Thunder Fly is actually one of three who steps up to this level for the first time and it’s another of those, (5) CHEONYEONUITAEYANG, who looks to be the main danger. It took him a while to figure things out but he’s now won three of his last four and has the potential for more. The other one up in class, (10) HAWK KING, winner of a quick race on a wet track at the end of August, perhaps has a bit more to find but is still in the hunt. Of those with prior experience at this level, (4) MIRACLE BOLT and (1) ADELEUI JINJU look the most likely.
|Selections||(5) Cheonyeonuitaeyang (8) Thunder Fly (4) Miracle Bolt (10) Hawk King|
|Next Best||1, 7, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 11|
Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Four of these raced each other at class and distance on August 31st and it was (1) WOOA, third favourite in the market, who came out on top. A repeat isn’t impossible but he carries an extra 4kg today and it won’t be easy. (5) BAEKMUNBAEKDAP was 2nd that day, less than a length back and the up and coming Tapizar three-year-old has an excellent chance of overturning the form here. (9) HIDDDEN CHAMP was favourite that day but didn’t do himself justice. He’ll be less fancied this time though a return to form could happen. (3) SOUL BLADE and (4) ROYAL RUBY came home 3rd and 4th in a similar race to this three weeks ago. They were beaten by good horses and there’s a chance they could be battling it out for top honours today in what’s a very competitive handicap.
|Selections||(5) Baekmunbaekdap (4) Royal Ruby (3) Soul Blade (1) Wooa|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9|