International
VIEW ARCHIVES (22341 articles)

<< Back
George to skip rematch with Orange in favour of autumn campaign
18 Jul 2017 | Racingpost.com 

 

Big Orange's task of winning a third Goodwood Cup – and the first renewal under its new Group 1 status – was made vastly easier on Monday when Aidan O'Brien revealed Ascot Gold Cup victim Order Of St George will not line up in the new day-one feature of next month's Glorious meeting.

 

Big Orange on track for a third Goodwood Cup, photo Liesl King

 

Michael Bell's stable star beat Quest For More by a neck in the 2015 edition of the Qatar-sponsored two-mile contest and Pallasator by a length and a quarter in last year's renewal before reaching new heights at last month's royal meeting with a first Group 1 win.

Shortly after Frankie Dettori confirmed the news he would be back in the saddle for Goodwood, having missed the Ascot Gold Cup through injury, O'Brien revealed his main market rival would not be lining up in opposition with an autumn campaign now the plan.

"He won't run," said O'Brien, speaking over the phone at the media launch of the Glorious Goodwood festival. "The plan now is to run US Army Ranger as Order Of St George won't go. He's going to have a midsummer break with an autumn campaign in mind – we'll hopefully bring him back for races like the Irish St Leger."

Order Of St George has run in the last two editions of the Curragh Group 1 contest, winning the Palmerston House Estate-sponsored race in 2015 by 11 lengths but going down by half a length to Wicklow Brave last year.

Big Orange is now no bigger than 5-4 – he is odds-on with a handful of firms – to make it three from three victories in the £500,000 Goodwood Cup.

While there was a shock surrounding Order Of St George missing the race, Bell revealed everything was firmly on track for the favourite.

"He's very much bang on track," said Bell. "It's a shame, we were looking forward to the rematch, but I'm sure there will be plenty of others there to take him on.

"It would be a huge deal if he could do it. It's very significant prize-money, but it would be just incredible to win the race for a third time."

 
»Gold Trail Stakes gets NZB Filly of the Year Series underway

»Jim Bannon's Journal for Woodbine - Thursday

»Brametot primed for Arc after impressing in Deauville gallop

»Caspian Prince ready to take on the world at Newbury

»McConville's banned for three years in Cheltenham cobalt case

»Records broken on first day of Tattersalls September Yearling Sale

»Trenchard tops the Racing in Dubai September Sale

»Sunday Session at Book 3 Keeneland September Sale

»Favourite Shanghai guaranteed shot at Ayr Gold Cup glory

»Winter in line to make it an Arc awesome foursome for O’Brien

»Whisky Baron team hoping for good ground in Joel Stakes

»Cardsharp and U S Navy Flag among 17 going forward for Mill Reef Stakes

»UPI Horse Racing Roundup

»Capla Temptress triumphs in Natalma Stakes

»Untamed Domain dons the shades for Summer Stakes score

»Pioneer of the Nile Colt highlight Saturday at Keeneland September Yearling Sale

»Secretariat's owner Penny Chenery dies aged 95

»Derby-winning trainer Geoff Wragg dies at the age of 87

»All systems go for Ulysses to take on Enable again in Arc

»Jim Bannon's Journal for Woodbine - Sunday

Share/Bookmark

©Copyright 2006 - 2017 Thoroughbred News.
All rights reserved
Development and Design by Web Element