Korea: Seoul Racecourse – Sunday September 16, 2018
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) STRONG VULTURE was an improved 2nd on August 19th in a similar strength race to this and it shouldn’t take much improvement for him to come out on top here. He led until close to home that day and this time will be expected to lead all the way. (1) HUNTER HAWK and (12) SOKBO ONGJU are by some margin the two most experienced horses in this field and while that’s generally not a good thing at class 6, both should have enough about them to challenge for at least places here. (3) HEY DREAMER showed some signs of figuring things out last time and can get closer today. There are four first-time starters and of them, (7) EIFFEL looks the most forward at the moment.
|Selections||(6) Strong Vulture (7) Eiffel (1) Hunter Hawk (12) Sokbo Ongju|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) TAMNANEUN YEOIN leaps out from the page having won his her debut but up in class here, she looks up against it. Instead, (1) AREUMDAUN CHEONSA may be a better prospect. She was promoted to this level with back to back 2nd place finishes and then got her maiden win last start getting the best of a tight finish over this distance on August 11th. She looks to be improving each run and could do so again. Seeking to emulate her with a maiden victory after being promoted off the back of consecutive runner-up finishes is (4) BEYOND OVER. She’s run on well both times and should be competitive at this level. (7) BACK TO BACK drops back in trip and may come into consideration while (9) LIVINGSTONE had a hard time on his first try at the distance last start but is worth another go. Similarly (11) DAMON ANGEL, who beat Beyond Over on the latter’s debut, can improve on his latest run.
|Selections||(1) Areumdaun Cheonsa (11) Damon Angel (4) Beyond Over (3) Tamnaneun Yeoin|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) QUEEN FORCE ONE returned from eight months off to run a solid 4th in a similar all-filly race to this over 1000M on August 26th. She steps up in trip for the first time here and looks to have every chance, most probably from on the early speed. (3) GREEN TEA wasn’t far away from 2nd last start and looks a good placing prospect once more while (8) I AM WINNER is yet to actually be a winner but, last start apart, enters with recent form reading in an encouraging manner and could get close. (4) CHEONNYEON HAPPY, (6) INDY LADY and (9) QUEEN OF CAMP all made promising debuts and can build on them here.
|Selections||(5) Queen Force One (8) I Am Winner (4) Cheonnyeon Happy (3) Green Tea|
|Next Best||6, 9, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens only and there are two stand-outs. (11) DO KKI BLADE was always going to grab some local attention due to his name and he ran well on debut, overcoming a slow start to run on well for 2nd. The step up in trip should suit and he can win. The big threat though is (9) BI PYEONG He’s been 2nd and 3rd in his two outings so far, the latter of which was at this distance and a win is surely not too far away. It would be a surprise if these two didn’t fill out the top two places – and if they do they will both be racing at class 5 next start – but there are a few others who could be involved. (1) BLUE FIRE ran well in 3rd on debut four weeks ago and can build on it today while (2) RULE BREAKER was a much-improved 2nd on his second start on August 26th. (8) UP LIGHT was 4th behind Bi Pyeong last time out and while he has four-lengths to make up on that one, can beat plenty.
|Selections||(11) Do Kki Blade (9) Bi Pyeong (2) Rule Breaker (1) Blue Fire|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) GUREUM WANGJA was a good all-the-way winner over this distance on August 11th on what was just his second start. H e’s up in class here but is a firm favourite to back up with another win. It took (8) MYEONGJIN MAN four goes to get his maiden win but the Drosselmeyer colt did it in style on July 1st. He too steps up in class and while he has a bit to find if he is to push the favourite, he can go well as well. (12) YEOWOORI was a touch disappointing at 1000M last time but can be better back up in distance today while (7) NEUNGRYEOK SIDAE and (9) DUAL CHOEGANG are others who are most likely to compete for places.
|Selections||(4) Gureum Wangja (12) Yeowoori (7) Neungryeok Sidae (8) Myeongjin Man|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) VICAR BLADE just missed out by a nose over a mile three weeks ago and drops back to the distance at which he earned his previous win today. He’ll be on pace early and is the one to beat. Five of these raced each other at class and distance on August 17th with (6) SIMON MAGIC coming out on top among them, finishing in 2nd place. He can go well again although it could be that a couple of the ones he beat can overturn the form. They’re the confusingly named pair of (3) GANGHAN JILJU and (10) JANGHAN JILJU are both proven performers at the distance with the latter – Janghan – favoured here. (2) SUPER SUPREME was a class and distance winner in June and while he didn’t go especially at a mile on his only start since, should be in the frame today.
|Selections||(8) Vicar Blade (10) Janghan Jilju (3) Ganghan Jilju (2) Super Supreme|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) STRONG RUNNER ran 4th at this distance at class 6 back in May. After that, he dropped back in distance to get his maiden win in June and followed up with back to back 3rd place finishes at 1400M and 1200M, both at this level. He looks ready to move back up to two-turns today and can settle just behind the early lead with every chance of a win. (2) WITH FRIENDSHIP tackles two-turns for the first time here. He’s not been too far away in his latest two and the trip may suit. (8) DUMANGANG, (4) MAMKKEOT DALYEO and (6) JEONGSANG MANSE filled out 3rd to 5th when they raced each other at class and distance on August 18th. Jeongsang Manse was favourite that day and can overturn the form on the other two today although all three have a good shot at getting in at least the places.
|Selections||(1) Strong Runner (6) Jeongsang Manse (2) With Friendship (8) Dumangang|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 10, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) TOP OF WORLD has won both her starts to date in fine fashion with his latest being a seven-length romp over 1200M on August 5th. She is up in class and slightly in distance today but should have little trouble with either and she is very hard to oppose. (1) BAENGNYEON SIDAE and (3) CHEOLBI possibly have the best chance of getting close to the favourite, coming in as they do with recent form reading well but both will need to find plenty of they are to challenge her. The very experienced (7) EOROK also enters off the back of two encouraging runs recently and can compete for a place while (8) VEGA ONE pulled off a slightly surprising victory over 1400M on August 19th and is another who will be aiming for some prize-money.
|Selections||(2) Top Of World (3) Cheolbi (7) Eorok (1) Baengnyeon Sidae|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) GANGSEO EUTTEUM ran out a four-length class and distance winner on August 19th with three of his rivals here behind him. He only carries and additional 2kg today and has every chance of a repeat. The main danger today is (8) DANCING BLADE, who ran 5th on his first try at this distance in a decent race in July. He should have come on for that and with Nunes aboard can go close. (7) BEST VICTORY is up in class after a good four-length win over the distance a month ago. He will need to find a bit here but can be competitive. (9) STRONG CAPTAIN was 4th behind Gangseo Eutteum in that August 19th race but has won at this distance and should also be in at least the placing frame. Though beaten by a couple of these at 1400M last start, (1) SPEED CHEONGNYONG is perhaps best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Gangseo Eutteum (8) Dancing Blade (1) Speed Cheongnyong (9) Strong Captain|
|Next Best||7, 11, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 10, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Alllowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) I’M YOUR HOPE remains a maiden but ran well for 3rd place over this distance on his latest start in July, giving hope that a first victory is not too far away. He’ll be ridden patiently here and has as good a chance as any. (8) DAEHO MYEONGGA may not be a prolific winner (although unlike I’m Your Hope, he has actually won – twice), but he is very consistent and comes in off consecutive 2nd place finishes, both times exceeding expectations. He should be close again. (5) RISING PRINCE has held his own in slightly tougher company than this of late and should be aiming to place here. (3) FIRST MOVER is down in class and may find this company more amenable than the type he has been facing of late. (6) GLOBAL JILJU the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) I’m Your Hope (8) Daeho Myeongga (5) Rising Prince (3) First Mover|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) HWANGGEUM BISANG ground out a half-length win at class and distance on August 12th and while he is joint top-weight here, a repeat is not impossible. The one to beat though might be (4) NAMCHON ARTIST. He won back to back races at this distance in April and May to get promoted to this level and was 2nd over 1800M in his only outing since. He races for the first time in almost three months but should have strong claims. (3) LONG WAY also returns after a bit of a spell. A line can be drawn through his effort in the TJK Trophy and he is another who could get close here. (10) ROAD KING is up in class after a string of near-misses at this distance. From his last seven starts, he has four 2nds and two 3rds and can keep that run going today. (2) TOGETHER HUG looks to be the best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Namchon Artist (10) Road King (1) Hwanggeum Bisang (3) Long Way|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
At the beginning of his career (5) EUROPA showed some big potential but a few setbacks put paid to that. Nevertheless, he’s been demonstrating some signs of recovery recently and his 3rd place last time over this distance three weeks ago suggest he’s on the verge of returning to the winner’s circle and it could be here. It’s a good race though. (12) TWO TWO ACE is up in class after an all the way win last start and can be competitive. (10) PERFECT SINHWA has won both starts since returning from eight months out and while few will expect him to win again, he can’t be completely ruled out. (4) CHROME MAGIC drops back in trip and should be far more suited today while (8) AWESOME DOLL and (9) KASBAH PRINCE should also be going close.
|Selections||(4) Chrome Magic (5) Europa (12) Two Two Ace (9) Kasbah Prince|
|Next Best||10, 8, 2.,9|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open “The Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup (KOR G3) 1800M Allowance / KRW 300 Million
Seven of the eight who go here ran in the Korean Oaks in Busan on July 5th, a race which saw (6) SPECIAL STONE run out a dominant seven-length winner. She began at odds of 22/1 that day but her win was almost effortless and back on her home sand today, there is little reason why she can’t repeat. Top trainer Kim Young-kwan travels up from Busan with two. (3) BLUE FLAG and (5) GYOHAKSANGJANG were both well-backed in the Oaks and finished 4th and 5th respectively. Blue Flag has raced once since then, running out an impressive six-length winner over this distance at class 3 in early August. She is surely the main danger here. (7) YEONGCHEON DERBY can surely go better than her Oaks run too while back on their home tracks (1) NIKE STREET and (2) SEOURI BYEOL, the latter the fastest finisher of all in the Oaks, making up seven places in the final furlong to finish 3rd, can’t be discounted from a good run either. The only one of these who didn’t run in the Oaks is (4) OKAY QUEEN. She was a good five-length winner at class 3 level a month ago and is the wildcard here.
|Selections||(6) Special Stone (3) Blue Flag (7) Yeongcheon Derby (5) Gyohaksangjang|
|Next Best||2, 1, 4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Could (9) KING OF ACE finally return to the winner’s circle today? He won four of his first five before injury struck and while he has been up and down since returning in January this year, he’s not made it to the top spot. Last seen as an also-ran in the Owners’ Cup in July, the weight and the distance could work in his favour today. (7) BANJIUI JEWANG beat four of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance three weeks ago, his second consecutive runner-up finish, having been behind (8) USEUNG LINE in his previous outing. He’ll be close to the pace here and has a big chance. (3) DAEHO SIDAE was 3rd behind Banjiui Jewang last time and can get close once more while (2) TAEYANGUI SINHWA, who is up in class, and (10) MIRACLE LINE are others firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) King of Ace (7) Banjiui Jewang (3) Daeho Sidae (2) Taeyangui Sinhwa|
|Next Best||10, 11, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
He’s been close in recent starts and the time may have come for (2) ALL THAT CHASE to finally get his maiden win at what will be the tenth time of asking. He beat three of these on his way to a good 2nd place at class and distance on August 19th and can go one better today. (8) HAETSAL WANGJA drops back in trip after running 2nd over 1700M last month. He was a winner at this distance in July and will be a danger here. Like All That Chase (9) CHICAGO ART remains a maiden but is rarely far away while (7) SUN START finished 5th behind All That Chase last time and can get closer here. (11) CAPTAIN PARK had a bad day in that race but is better than that and can improve here. One interesting wildcard is (5) HWANG GEUM SAJA. He’s only raced the once and finished 6th but had looked very good in a trial before that and may improve today.
|Selections||(2) All That Chase (5) Hwang Geum Saja (8) Haetsal Wangja (9) Chicago Art|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) PANORAMA SHOW has won his latest two and three out of five in total to get rapidly promoted to class 2. He looks a talent but could this be a bit too much too soon? (2) PENACOVA and (3) LEONNING STROM came home 3rd and 4th when they raced each other at class and distance on August 19th and both look firmly in the frame here. Ilgan Sports Cup winner (5) LEAD MONEY was further back that day but clearly has talent and can improve this time. Then there is (4) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG, who has recorded a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts since being promoted to this level. He is likely to join Panorama Show and possibly also Penacova on the early pace and has every chance of staying on to compete the finish.
|Selections||(4) Yeokjeonui Useung (3) Leonning Strom (8) Panorama Show (5) Lead Money|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 8|