KOREA: Seoul Racecourse & Busan Racecourse – Sunday May 26 2019
Race 1: Class 5 (1000m) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- FINAL STORM – Ran through the line fairly last start when trying to lead throughout. The four-year-old will be suited by the five furlongs once again. Each way chance.
- GREEN Y – Has finished well back at all four starts this preparation. Prefer others.
- SMART DREAM – Demoted to Class 5 company after numerous poor performance in tougher company. Hard to suggest.
- GOLD SEUTAK – Twenty-eight start maiden who hasn’t looked threatening for quite some time.
- YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN – First run since December last year. Place chance at best first up after running some handy performances last preparation in similar company.
- JEOKTO BIMA – Class 6 winner two starts back and followed it up with a five length defeat last start when finishing seven lengths behind Super Yeowang. Can figure with the right run.
- GEUM STAR – Third career start for the Clear Attempt filly. Saluted at her first run and then beaten over thirteen lengths when stepping up in Class 5. Missed the start last time out and will benefit if she can get out of the gates in quick fashion.
- EOMJI YEOWANG – Eighteenth career start looking for her second win. Performed well for Alan Munro last start when coming from the tail to finish second. Each way chance.
VERDICT: From the inside barrier (1) FINAL STORM will get every opportunity to steal this race. He looks as if he can run a strong enough 1000m that they may struggle to catch him. (8) EOMJI YEOWANG responded to the riding of Alan Munro last start when closing strongly. (7) GEUM STAR can figure if she jumps away cleanly. (6) JEOKTO BIMA looking to bounce back.
|Selections||(1) Final Storm (8) Eomji Yeowang (7) Geum Star (6) Jeokto Bima|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6|
Race 2: Class 5 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- INDIAN ECO – Been well tried in this company and has struggled to figure of late. Drops back to the 1300m which appears to assist her chances however this looks tough.
- SILVER LION – Hard to suggest on her twenty-one start career to date. The five-year-old has managed to finish in the top three on three occasions. Rough place chance.
- DURI – Six start maiden who has hit the line strongly at her past few starts. 1300m ideal.
- HANSEN BAROWS – Speedy type who should ping the gates and work forward early. Much improved effort last start and should not be discounted.
- CHANGSEONG GANGJA – Dropped back to the 1300m last start when beat by a big margin. Prefer others.
- BUCKETFUL GOLD – Racing well and looks one of the main chances engaged. Finished fourth last start in similar company when beaten six lengths. Runs prior were good including a second and a win in Class 6 company. Keep safe.
- DAEHAN ILPUM – Sent out at a short quote his past couple of starts and disappointed on both occasions. Needs to improve.
- STRIDE UP – Looks a good chance for new jockey Ryan Curatalo. Disappointing last time out when missing the kick and struggling to recover on a muddy track. Runs prior were promising. Has to overcome 57kg.
- GOD OF SOCKS – Has finished well back in recent runs and hard to make a case for in this event.
- CHACACHACACHA – Yet to place from eight starts. Hard to suggest.
- ROYAL TANK – Nineteen start maiden who will most likely struggle from an outside gate.
- P.K. GUNJU – Broke through at his third career start when leading throughout over the 1300m. Expect Park Eul Woon to bustle the three-year-old out of the gates and get on speed.
VERDICT: (4) HANSEN BAROWS has improved of late and is normally competitive in this class. (12) P.K. GUNJU may prove hard to run down should he find the lead from the outside gate. (8) STRIDE UP was racing well prior to last start when missing the jump. (6) BUCKETFUL GOLD appears an each-way chance.
|Selections||(4) Hansen Barows (12) P.K. Gunju (8) Stride Up (6) Bucketful Gold|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300m) Special Weight C / KRW 40 Million
- MANSEOK JIGI – Resumed last start when finishing fifth in muddy conditions. Should hold a position in the first half of the field.
- SPADE MASHIE – Stepped up to the 1700m last start where he appeared to struggle to run through the line strong. Drops back to the 1300m where he has shown some good form. Each way chance.
- FAMILY PARK – Ran through the line better than some last start but would need to improve to figure.
- SUHO – Well fancied last start but disappointed when only managing to finish sixth. Previous runs were strong enough to fill a place. Keep safe.
- SOARA HEUKJANGGUN – Produced a fast sectional to finish fourth last start over the 1300m. Previous runs have been one paced.
- DOUBLE DUNDAS – Second career start in this event after finishing well back on debut. Looks safely held.
- EAGLE EYE – Debut was fair when finishing fourth and overcoming a wide gate. Expect improvement at her second start.
- HUSH DAEBO – Testa Matta colt making his debut for trainer Jeon Seung Gyu. Finished third in a moderate time. Moon Se Young rode in the trial and retains the ride which may be a good lead.
- HWANGGEUM DOYAJI – Eye-catching run last start when coming from the tail to finish third. Step up to the 1300m will suit the three-year-old.
- JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN – Third start for the Colors Flying filly after a good effort to finish third last start behind Running Box. Lim Gi Won to be legged aboard.
- CITY SONGAM – Debuted last start when sent out unwanted by punters. Managed to finish midfield and one that may improve with more racing experience.
VERDICT: (9) HWANGGEUM DOYAJI appears one that will appreciate the step up allowing her to wind up. (2) SPADE MASHIE is aided by a good gate and did not see the 1700m out strongly last start. The 1300m will suit. (10) JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN has the services of polished hoop Lim Gi Won. (4) SUHO can bounce back after a poor performance.
|Selections||(9) Hwanggeum Doyaji (2) Spade Mashie (10) Jaeneung Chungman (4) Suho|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Race 4: Class 4 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- FIORE – Has been struggling to figure in races of similar strength. Would need to improve to figure.
- GEUMSEONGHWANGJE – Solid start to the three-year-old’s career winning two from six starts along with a handful of places. Ran second behind Nimui Hyanggi last start in similar company. One of the main chances.
- BEYOND OVER – Back marker who leaves herself too much to do come the top of the straight. If she can sit closer she can be considered an each-way chance.
- DAEGIL SANGJON – Has struggled since entering Class 4 company. Alan Munro has his first ride on the four-year-old. Needs to improve.
- YEOKDAE CHOEGO – Sensational win last start in Class 5 company when running on from a midfield position. Featherweight of 52kg puts him right in this race.
- ISCRA – Antonio Davielson has his first ride on the four-year-old. Punters have sent him out at short quotes his past few starts but has struggled to figure. Do not discount but needs to find a few lengths to place.
- SOMETHING NOBODYNO – Korean bred who has started off his career in good style. Promoted to this company after successive places in Class 5 company. Expect to sit on speed but will find this harder. 1300m should suit the three-year-old son of Simon Pure.
- SUPER YEOWANG – Another progressive type who is firing early on in her career. Has led at all three starts to date this preparation. Steps up in grade but has taken all before her so far.
- SIMON RICH – Looks safely held in a race full of speed.
- HANEULUI STAR – Lightly raced five-year-old who is having his third start this preparation. Ran second when resuming over the 1000m and then midfield at his second start back. Place chance.
- JILPUNG GANGJA – Went through the lower grades with ease but has found this type of company tougher. First time stretched out to the 1300m and needs to improve to figure.
- TIAGO TOUCH – Has previously won in Class 4 company and should be respected in this event with just 54kg. May be forced to settle rearwards from the gate.
VERDICT: (2) GEUMSEONGHWANGJE looks right in this with the good draw. Showed last start he can prove competitive in this grade. (5) YEOKDAE CHOEGO looks to be suited by the 1300m. (7) SOMETHING NOBODYNO is progressive and one to follow. (6) ISCRA is an each-way chance based on what we’ve seen from him to date.
|Selections||(2) Geumseonghwangje (5) Yeokdae Choego (7) Something Nobodyno (6) Iscra|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200m) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
- BLACK SPIRIT – Looking to break maiden status at start fifteen. Produced a better performance last time out when second behind Songam Barbie. On the two-week back up and drops back to the 1200m.
- SABA KINGDOM – Finally drawn an inside gate after a run of wide barriers. He led throughout when he broke maiden status five starts back in Class 6 company so look for Johan Victoire to be positive out of the gates. Form of last has been poor and needs to improve.
- WINNER SAY – Henny Hughes filly who broke through for a 2.5L win last time out over the 1000m in Class 6 company. Showed improvement last start to win and should be kept safe once again.
- GENERAL ROSE – All three career starts have been encouraging including a win in Class 6 company. Stepped up to the 1300m last start and accounted for herself well when fourth behind Udaeryung.
- KAHINAH – Broke through for her maiden win last start when Moon Se Young was legged aboard for the first time. Won by a nose last start and this looks tougher. 1300m suits.
- WANY K – Hard to suggest on recent form when well beaten in events similar to class of this race. Prefer others.
- SOBAEK YEONGJU – First time beyond 1000m this preparation. Found himself midfield last start and ran on well to finish fourth. Each way chance.
- EAGLE SKY – Fifth run this preparation. Placed at big odds last time out with just 51kg on his back. Has to carry 56kg in this event as he steps back up to 1300m and looks a hard task.
- ACE ZAPPER – Dropped back to Class 5 company four starts back and has still struggled.
- FIRE – Been quite some time since we have seen an encouraging performance from him. Looks safely held here.
- WINNER CROWN – Broke through two starts back when sent out by punters at a short quote. Followed his win up with a midfield finish in Class 5 company overcoming a wide gate. No easier today.
- WONDERFUL HENNESSY – Has speed to burn and should work forward early on from the outside gate. Been gobbled up in the home straight at her past couple when managing to hold on for a place.
VERDICT: (3) WINNER SAY showed last time out that she can sit on speed and run through the line strong. If Manuel Porcu can get her to sit in the leading division and unwind solidly like last start she will take some holding out. (12) WONDERFUL HENNESSY will ping out of the gates and work forward for Kim Yong Geun. Has found a couple quicker than her at her past couple but the early speed is an advantage. (5) KAHINAH responded to the riding of Moon Se Young last time out and (4) GENERAL ROSE should be respected.
|Selections||(3) Winner Say (12) Wonderful Hennessy (5) Kahinah (4) General Rose|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 11, 12|
Race 2: Class 5 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- MAERYEOK DEONGEORI – Produced just one win from fifty-nine career starts. Has had four starts this year and failed to finish in the first six across the line. Prefer others.
- NEW JACK SWING – Four-year-old who will appreciate barrier two allowing him to sit closer to the speed. Mixes his form but capable on his day.
- JIRANJIGYO – Was placed back in Class 5 company late last year after struggling to figure in stronger company. Has subsequently struggled in the easier grade and is likely to find this tough.
- ROSA – Three-year-old Korean bred who is looking to break maiden status at start nine. Ran consecutive places earlier this year but has finished midfield at her past three starts. Place chance.
- ULSAN JANGGUN – Three-year-old Colors Flying colt who drops back to the 1300m after finishing well back last start. Mixes his form and place chance at best.
- HAPPY GATE – Broke through in Class 6 company last time out at each way odds. Likely to find this tougher but cannot be discounted. Expect to sit in the first half from a central draw.
- DOCTOR WEEK – Saluted in a weak Class 6 event three starts back and best effort since has been midfield in similar company to that of this event. Place chance at best.
- JUNGKKOT – Progressive type who lines up for her fifth career start. Beaten six lengths last time out by a handy type. Athletic filly who looks a nice type to follow going forward.
- FINAL FRONT – Promoted to Class 5 company last time after some reasonable performances in weaker grade. Struggled last time out and this looks no easier.
- BIRYONGUI HUYE – Well beaten last time out over the 1300m. Third up so expect to be fitter but prefer others until he shows some form of improvement.
- MACH RANGER – Ran on fairly last time out but still well beaten over the 1200m. Slight step-up to the 1300m but looks hard to have.
- CHEONNYEONUIYAKSO – Progressive type engaged who looks one of the main chances. Performed well last time out over the 1300m. Has shown speed in his first few career starts so expect You Hyun Myung to ride aggressively.
VERDICT: (8) JUNGKKOT and (12) CHEONNYEONUIYAKSO appear the progressive types engaged with the remainder of the field more experienced. (8) JUNGKKOT is likely to get an economic run with her early speed and should sit on speed whilst Cheonnyeonuiyakso may find it problematic finding a position on speed. (6) HAPPY GATE has shown consistency in his eight-start career and (4) ROSA appears an each-way chance.
|Selections||(8) Jungkkot (12) Cheonnyeonuiyakso (6) Happy Gate (4) Rosa|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- BEST VICTORY – Has been settling rearwards in his races and hitting the line fairly. Has finished behind some handy types so do not discount entirely.
- NASCAUI BYEOL – 12 start maiden import who has been freshened for today’s run. Well beaten last time out and needs to improve.
- HWANSANG STAR – Still a maiden after seven starts but is one of the main chances engaged after finishing in the top three at his past four starts. Drops back to the 1300m which is a slight query at this point in his preparation.
- KEY FACTOR – Struggled to finish closer than midfield at his past couple. Import who is still a maiden after sixteen starts.
- STRO REA – Five starts and yet to finish closer than sixt. Prefer others.
- GISELLE GOEMUL – Three-year-old USA colt who flew out of the gates last start going on for an all the way 4L win, Kim Deok Hyeon takes 3kg off his back and with just 54kg he looks the one to beat.
- FASHION PLAYER – Has struggled to finish in the top three at her first few race starts. Lightly weighted with just 51kg. Given the way she ran on last time out place chance at best.
- AMERICAN BELL – Third career start for the three-year-old. Ran home doggedly last time out to finish a strong second behind Cupid Guy. Can make a case for the American Lion colt based on his last start.
- CALL WIN – American import who hasn’t fires a shot since arriving.
- ACTIMON – Finished runner up at his past couple. Has to carry 55kg but has the polished services of Moon Se Young aboard. Back marker who runs on strong.
- INCHEON SPEED – Just one top three finish from seven career starts. Well back at his past couple of starts over the same distance. Prefer others.
- WINNER SPIRIT – Third start this preparation. Wait for some improvement after failing to finish off his races of late.
VERDICT: (6) GISELLE GOEMUL looks to have been placed perfectly in this with the 3kg claim of Kim Deok Hyeon. Won by a big margin last start and will have the chance to get on speed once again. There seems to be some X-Factor about (8) AMERICAN BELL. Keep an eye on him going forward as he looks like he will improve with longer races. (10) ACTIMON will get back in the race and hit the line strong. (3) HWANSANG STAR cannot be discounted albeit looking for his first win.
|Selections||(6) Giselle Goemul (10) Actimon (3) Hwansang Star (8) American Bell|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Race 3: Class 4 (1400m) Special Weight B / KRW 60 Million
- FOREVER NINE – Up in grade coming off consecutive places in Class 5 company. Likely to find this hard but is a place chance with the soft draw.
- STAR ROAD – Three-year-old import who is looking for his maiden win. Went over the 1400m last start when finishing well back. Hard to suggest.
- OHO DAEJANGGUN – Drops back to the 1400m after failing to figure over the mile last start. Has had a long preparation and this looks a tough assignment.
- JANGHAN JILJU – Has saluted in similar company back in December last year. Since then has managed to finish in the first half on most occasions. The 55kg likely to take its toll on her in this event. Place chance.
- JET SKY – USA import who is looking for her second win. Placed over the 1400m last start when 2.5L behind progressive type Friday. Expect to be competitive.
- TRIPLE SILVER – Backmarker who has finished his races off fairly at his past couple of starts in similar company. Place chance at best.
- SINBIHAN JILJU – Hard to suggest on recent performances in similar company.
- THUNDER RAIN – Progressive type who looks the one to beat albeit the impost of 57kg. Gutsy performance last start when sitting three wide and running on strong. One to follow.
- SANGSEUNG DAEHAN – Last start winner in similar company who drops back to the 1400m. Was ridden positive last start so look for him to muster early. Up in the weights and will have to overcome 56kg.
- CHEONHA GAMDONG – Ran third behind some handy types last time out (True King and Power Windy, the latter subsequently 3rd in the Derby). Drops back from the 1800m and may find this too short formlines strong.
- ORANGE MARINE – Import who is yet to breakthrough but has been thereabouts of late. Place chance.
- KING THE ROAD – Speedy type who is likely to work forward. Plenty of speed engaged so Jo In Kwen will have to produce some magic to find an economic run. Each way chance.
VERDICT: (8) THUNDER RAIN has been mighty impressive in recent runs and showed last time out he can perform with a big weight. (9) SANGSEUNG DAEHUN was a handy 2.5L winner last time out and although up in weight must be considered. (12) KING THE ROAD has been consistent in her seven-start career to date and has shown she can compete in this grade. (10) CHEONHA GAMDONG brings some strong form-lines into the race.
|Selections||(8) Thunder Rain (9) Sangseung Daehan (12) King The Road (10) Cheonha Gamdong|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 12|
Race 7: Class 6 (1700m) Special Weight C / KRW 24 Million
- CARROT SEEKER – Being stretched out to the 1700m for the first time. Failed to finish off last time over the 1300m so the distance may be a query.
- BINNANEUN RUBY – Has been up for quite some time this preparation. Still trying to break her duck at start 21. Prefer others.
- PINEAPPLE MARK – Can make a case for the three-year-old after running on strongly last time out behind Main Event. Was only beaten one length and came from a midfield position. Should Manuel Porcu employ the same tactics once again she can go close.
- CHUNGDAM HORANGI – Prefer to wait until a forward showing. Connections normally get a hold of some handy types but wait for improvement.
- REAL GANGJA – 12 starts for two minor places. Has been well beaten of late and a win would surprise.
- CHEONNYEONUI BI – Has mixed her form in her six start career but queries over the 1700m after failing to impress over the same distance last time out.
- DAEHO CHEONHA – Picked up one cheque in his fourteen start career. Hard to make a case for in this event.
- JUNGDONG DOKJU – Has failed to figure in all thirteen runs. Another that looks like she will struggle.
- GEUMSUNI STAR – Being stretched out to 1700m for the first time after an encouraging second behind Set The Pace last start. Outside draw may force the Menifee colt to settle further back than desirable.
VERDICT: (3) PINEAPPLE MARK looks to have the ideal draw to show her turn of foot. (9) GEUMSUNI STAR has been consistent of late and is a solid each way chance. (6) CHEOUNNYEONUI BI looks to have shown the most form outside of the top two. (4) CHUNGDAM HORANGI can improve in this event.
|Selections||(9) Geumsuni Star (3) Pineapple Mark (6) Cheonnyeonui Bi (4) Chungdam Horangi|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 9|
Race 4: Class 3 (1600m) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- SUPER STEAL – Looks safely held in a competitive event. Has been beaten by big margins in recent runs.
- RAON JEONSEOL – Won in this company two starts back when carrying 52kg. Was penalized 4kg and subsequently finishing fifth behind Ice Leg. Drawn to sit on speed.
- BOUND MYEONGUN – Consistent type who can finish in the top four. Drops back to the mile after finishing fifth last start over the 1800m. Has finished in the top five at his last seven starts.
- FRIDAY – Breezed through the easier grades before a somewhat disappointing performance last start when sixth over the 1800m in similar grade of that today. Drops back to the 1600m which may assist.
- GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK – Receives weight relief as she steps up to Class 3 company for the first time. Very consistent type with nine top five finished from twelve starts. Adaptable type but expect You Hyun Myung to be postitive from barrier five.
- ADELEUI JINJU – Dropped her head at the start last time out and dislodged Jung Do Yun before going around riderless. Proved she is competitive in this grade and is never too far away. Place chance.
- BAEDARI GOSU – Has filled a place at her past two starts after settling midfields and running on strong. Carries the light weight of 51.5kg and can place again with the right run.
- SEONGSAN SIMON – Saluted last start in weaker grade and now lines up in Class 3 company. He has sat on speed for all three victories so Jo In Kwen likely to work forward early. Each way chance.
- BAENGMANDORI – Placed at big odds last time out and will need to improve to be a winning chance. Draw is considered a disadvantage.
- DIAMOND KING – Seems to have met his match in Class 3 company. Can produce a solid turn of foot on his day but would need to improve to figure.
- FIRST VICTORY – Sneaks into this company with some moderated form in weaker grades. Hard to suggest from the outside gate.
VERDICT: A tricky race for punters with many chances engaged. The progressive (8) SEONGSAN SIMON looks one of the main chances coming off a good win in weaker company. Drops three kilograms for this event and will be ridden positively from barrier eight. (5) GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK continues to race well and has been promoted to this grade. The Thunder Moccasin filly is looking for her fourth win at start thirteen. (2) RAON JEONSEOL managed to finish fifth when having his first start against Class 3 gallopers last start. (4) FRIDAY drops back to 1600m which looks to suit. (9) BAENGMUNDORI not out of it either.
|Selections||(8) Seongsan Simon (5) Gyeongjuui Durebak (2) Raon Jeonseol (4) Friday|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700m) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- RAON DOLPUNG – Promoted to Class 4 company after consistently performing well in Class 5 company. Most recent run was good when sustaining a long run from midfield to finish second. Up in grade but counteracts that with carrying just 52kg.
- MIGHTY MAMBO – Lee dong Ha to ride once again after being one paced to the line last start over 1700m. Needs to lift.
- BEST HILL – Blitzed through the lesser grades before a couple of disappointing performances. Wasn’t too far away last start when facing some of the better fillies going around that were Oaks bound.
- GANGSEO EUTTEUM – Has been disappointing this preparation. Has had three runs and has been beaten by big margins. Prefer others.
- DUSON WANGJA – Looking for his second win today but most often finishes in the first half of the field. Light weight who can fill a place.
- NANGMAN STAR – Lightly weighted after being placed in Class 4 company for the first time. No Moon Se Young today but looks an each way chance based on current form.
- DOKDO YA – Korean bred who gets his chance to prove himself in Class 4 company after a stellar start to his career. Possesses early speed but will need to settle under Park Tae Jong over the 1700m. Saluted in red odds last time out.
- CLEAR GEOM – Another three-year-old who has kicked off her career in fine style. Relies on her turn of foot as she normally settles rearwards. Ha Jung Hun knows the horse well and she will fly late with the featherweight of 51kg on her back.
- ONLY BARAM – Surprise winner two starts back at big odds and followed the win up with a fifth behind Jewangui Byeol. Each-way chance.
- ELAN – Alan Munro legged aboard for the first-time last start and duly saluted. Munro retains the ride at 54.5kg. Looks a chance in a highly competitive race and will have to overcome a wide draw.
- UP LIGHT – Ran into some handy types including Do Kki Blade and Strong Runner last start and managed to place in third. Expect Moon Jung Kyun to snag him back and save up for a strong last three furlongs.
- DAEMYEONG SOLAR – Has struggled in Class 4 company at her past three starts. Hard to suggest.
VERDICT: (8) CLEAR GEOM showed last start that she can mix it in this grade very early on in her career. (11) UP LIGHT has shown ability in her nine-start career. (7) DOKDO YA steps up in class but has done everything right to date. (10) ELAN responded to Alan Munro last start with a good win and a forward showing would not surprise.
|Selections||(8) Clear Geom (7) Dokdo Ya (11) Up Light (10) Elan|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 12|
Race 5: Class 1 (1800m) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
- AMERICAN POWER – Ecton Park five-year-old who has a remarkable turn of foot. Ran on well last time out to pass the majority of the field when finishing fourth. Was still beaten comprehensively and place chance at best.
- TONGIL SIDAE – Just the four starts this preparation so far and was disappointing last time out when eighth behind Hi Sexy. Start prior was better when going down less than a length when third behind Morning Daero. Place chance.
- CHIEF ACE – Ultra consistent import who has never finished worse than fifth including three wins. Last start victory was superb when winning by six lengths. If the four-year-old can reproduce a similar performance, he should win.
- WHINNY WING – Grey colt who blew them away by four lengths last start when leading gate to wire. Goes over the same journey and is looking for his seventh win at start sixteen.
- DARMA – Has gone off the boil of late when well beaten at his past two starts. Prefer others.
- CHOEGANG THUNDER – Jin Kyum gets legged aboard for the first time after the four-year-old failed to make an impression last time out. Prior to last start his form was superb showing he can be competitive in this grade. Look for him to bounce back.
- SILLAUI JEONSEOL – Has placed at this grade and distance and should be considered as a top four chance. Distance not a query but whether he has the ability to match it with the class of his rivals remains to be seen.
- NEW YORK MANGCHI – Ran on strongly last time out to finish second behind King Of Glory last start. 57kg impost the query in a race with many chances.
- TAEYANGUI SINHWA – Hard to suggest in this field after finishing well back at all runs this preparation.
- HELLO VENUS – First start since January. Has had a trial coming into this event but hard to suggest on last year’s preparation.
- ACE DOLPUNG – Has struggled in Class 1 company at his past couple of starts and with the outside draw, this looks no easier.
VERDICT: An exciting race with the main chances appearing to be (3) CHIEF ACE and (4) WHINNY WING who both come off dominant victories last time out. (1) AMERICAN POWER may be able to sit closer to the speed today and show his powerful turn of foot. (7) SILLAUI JEONSEOL well performed over the journey and can fill a place.
|Selections||(3) Chief Ace (4) Whinny Wing (1) American Power (7) Sillaui Jeonseol|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Race 9: Class Open YTN Cup (KOR G3) 2000M / KRW 300 Million
1. GREAT KING – Beaten by a few of his Busan rivals in recent starts but he’s been giving weight away. Very solid and consistent competitor who can be ridden quietly from the inside gate. Outside chance of making a place.
2. SHAMROCKER – Always takes on the best hence his win record not being quite what he deserves. He’s spent much of his career chasing first Clean Up Joy and then Cheongdam Dokki and is rarely far away. Placing chances.
3. MOONHAK CHIEF – Up and coming four-year-old, he’s got the best of Shamrocker in each of his latest three starts and was 2nd to Cheongdam Dokki in the Herald Business last month. Expected to be on or close to the pace here, he can get close.
4. TIZ PLAN – A winner of six from ten in total and beat the very good Gangtoma on his first try at class 1 at the end of March. This is of a different order of difficulty though and level weights won’t be easy for him here.
5. BAENGMUNBAEKDAP – Sensational winner over 2200M on May 5th, beating 2nd placed Buhwarui Banseok by ten-lengths. Prior to that he ran a very good 2nd at this distance. Both those runs were under 7kg lighter than he carries today, and he is a stablemate of New Legend. Don’t be fooled into thinking he’s the second-string though – he has a chance.
6. NEW CITADEL – A contemporary of Cheongdam Dokki’s back when they were juveniles, his career has been ravaged by injuries. One race into his latest comeback, he was well back behind Winner Gold in March. Can’t be recommended here.
7. DONGBANG DAERO – 2nd in the Grand prix in 2017 but he’s been beaten by plenty of these in recent starts and they’re likely to beat him again here.
8. WINNER GOLD – Beaten by Tiz Plan at the end of March but ran well for 2nd over 1800M four weeks ago carrying today’s weight. He’s going to need to improve but he could be an interesting outsider.
9. NEW LEGEND – A winner in the USA, he won his first five Korean starts before coming up short when tried in a Sprint last month. A winner at this distance by thirteen-lengths in March, the time wasn’t fast but, in his defence, it didn’t need to be. Most likely sent for ward by Seo Seung-un, we’ll find out today if he’s the real deal.
10. BUHWARUI BANSEOK – Had a hard time on turf at the Dubai Carnival earlier this year but returned to run 2nd to Baengmunbaekdap at 2200M three weeks ago. Good horse who tends to just come up short in elite company, he can pass plenty late on.
11. JUMBO BLADE – A winner of six from twelve so far, he won well over 1800M a month ago. This is tougher and at equal weights it won’t be easy for him but don’t rule out good performance.
12. CHEONGDAM DOKKI – The defending champion and likely to start the prohibitive favourite. He struggled in a Sprint on his first outing for Luigi Riccardi in March but returned to form with a thumping win in last month’s Herald Business over Moonhak Chief and Shamrocker. He can run times that none of the others have yet proved capable of and he is the one to beat again.
13. ARGO BRAIN – Recent form has declined to the extent that his rating slid below class 1 after his latest outing. Big outsider here.
VERDICT: (12) CHEONGDAM DOKKI has been there, done that and is favoured to do it again. However, we didn’t read much into Dokki having a hard time in a Sprint and so we shouldn’t into (9) NEW LEGEND having difficulties last month. He was a crushing winner on his only try at this distance and although it was against sub-par company, he could raise himself here. Last weekend, trainer Kim Young-kwan’s supposed second-string Deep Mind won the Korean Oaks, so don’t completely rule out (5) BAENGMUNBAEKDAP. The biggest danger though may be (3) MOONHAK CHIEF. A real up and comer, he might not be quite on Cheongdam Dokki’s level yet but is getting better all the time. Then there is the ever dependable (2) SHAMROCKER. He’ll be close and can run into some money.
|Selections||(12) Cheongdam Dokki (9) New Legend (3) Moonhak Chief (5) Baengmunbaekdap|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 12|
Race 6: Class 3 (1600m) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- ALPHA RUNNER – Well thought of last time out but was defeated five lengths when finishing third over the 1800m. Drops back to the 1600m where he is well performed.
- GREAT ROCK – Third run this preparation. Won in brilliant fashion first up but was elevated in the weight scale last time out and failed to finish in the first half of the field. Drops 1kg on last run but weight still a query.
- BLACK ARROW – Good victory last time out when beating quite a few of the rivals in this race. Penalised three kilograms for the win but based on the strength of his win he is still one of the main chances.
- NAGASINDA – Drops back in class after some disappointing performances in Class One company. Wait for improvement.
- DREAM JILJU – Appears an each-(3way commodity based on his last start second behind Red Cloud. Weight the concern with 57kg on his back.
- TOKYO BLUE – Import looking for his second win at his twenty-first start. Always thereabouts but with the 57kg this looks a tough assignment.
- JET DIA – Australian bred gelding who was racing well prior to last start when disappointing over the 1800m. Lost considerable ground at the start last time out and ran home strong. If he can stay in touch he will take some holding out.
- AWESOME DOLL – USA bred mare who is out of form and hard to suggest.
- CHANGJO DAERO – Placed last time out in similar company and should be included in your novelties. Steps into unchartered territory going over the 1800m.
- DELMARUI GIJEOK – 1800m not ideal with his better performances over shorter courses. Was sent out single figures last start and could only manage fourth. Needs to improve.
- V MAN – Recent form suggests that this will be tough especially with 55kg.
- DUBAI TEUKGEUP – Has filled a place at his past couple of starts when sent out a short price by punters on both occasions. By Poet’s Voice whose progeny are known for a strong turn of foot. Barrier twelve may be hard to overcome. Expect to drop out after the start.
VERDICT: (7) JET DIA was ridden cold last start which cost him any chance at the start. With the change of rider Jo Sung Gon can bounce him out of the gates and keep him in touch. He will reel off a good sectional and appears value in a race with quite a few chances. (3) BLACK ARROW is an on-speed type who saluted last start in similar company. (5) DREAM JILJU ran a handy race last time out behind Red Cloud with 56kg on his back. (12) DUBAI TEUKGEUP has placed at his past two starts and a forward showing would not surprise while (2) GREAT ROCK has claims too.
|Selections||(3) Black Arrow (7) Jet Dia (12) Dubai Teukgeup (2) Great Rock|
|Next Best||5, 1, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 12|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800m) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- SPEED IS KHAN – Quite some time since he has won but more often than not collects some prize money. Hard to gauge where he will settle but is worth some thought in the exotics.
- SINGIPARANG – Hard task for newcomer Ryan Curatolo after the seven-year-old entire has failed to finish better than seventh this year in similar company.
- SEUNGNISARANG – Has failed to make an impression in Class 3 company and looks safely held.
- JEWANGUI BYEOL – Toughest test to date but handicapped with the light weight of 51kg. Barrier four will allow Kim Yong Geun to employ his normal tactics by placing the colt on speed.
- YESANGBAEK SEUNG – Had one start in Class 2 company last time out when finishing well back. Drops back to Class 3 company today with a manageable weight. Do not discount.
- PALPAL VICTORY – Handy type who looks ready to breakthrough in this class. Moon Se Young gets the call up for today’s assignment which is a plus. Hard to beat.
- MY VISION – Improved effort last time out when third to Senta Poba. Place chance looks best with the 54.5kg.
- GREAT JOY – Hard to suggest on recent performances.
- FLYING FORD – American import who won at his second start earlier this year but has disappointed since. Needs to lift.
- HAEORABI – Thirteen start maiden who looks outclassed.
- NEW WHY FI – Relegated from Class 2 company after handing in some well beaten performances earlier this year. Out of form and hard to suggest.
- SOBAKANINSAENG – Getting a bit long in the tooth and hasn’t shown a glimpse of getting close since mid-last year.
VERDICT: (6) PALPAL VICTORY has been very competitive of late and looks the one to beat. (4) JEWANGUI BYEOL has taken all before him and with the good draw and light weight must be considered. (5) YESANGBAEK SEUNG comes back down to Class 3 company and her form prior to last start was good. (1) SPEED IS KHAN is very consistent and can figure in this.
|Selections||(6) Palpal Victory (4) Jewangui Byeol (1) Speed Is Khan (5) Yesangbaek Seung|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Race 11: Class 2 (1200m) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
- NEON GAMDONGIYA – Improved performance last start when sent out at an each-way price. Kim Deok Hyeon sent the five-year-old forward early on to lead before finishing second. Expect him on speed.
- ACE RUNNER – Drops back to Class 2 company after failing to figure in Class 1 company. Has struggled to finish off his races of late and looks hard to suggest.
- URIGA BON – Another who has failed to figure in recent times. Carries the lightest weight he has carried in quite some time but hard to make a case.
- OKAY QUEEN – Brings some of the stronger formlines into this event after finishing fourth at his past two starts in similar company. One of the better draws she has had in quite some time so may take closer order.
- SOJUNGHAN MANNAM – Has gone around in weaker class races at his past two starts and failed to deliver.
- YEOKJEONUI USEUNG – Been thereabouts at his past couple and cannot be ruled out. Settled midfield last start and passed a couple in the run home. If Moon Se Young can get him closer to the speed he will enhance his chances.
- GIO STAR – Formlines read well after finishing third behind Yaho Strong Cat two starts back. Adaptable type and with the draw likely to settle off-speed. One of the main chances.
- GAMGYEOGUI SUNGAN – Just the two runs since November last year where she has been beaten by big margins. Hard to have.
- KOREA JEONGSANG – Unwanted by punters at his past few starts and looks to be the same in this event. Has failed to figure for quite some time.
- SPIRIT OF HANSEN – Settled on speed last time out and capitulated in the run home. Fourth run this preparation.
VERDICT: (4) OKAY QUEEN has ran well at her past couple of starts and with the services of Lee Hyeon Jong she looks a big chance. (7) GIO STAR continues to race well in this company and gets one of his better opportunities to win one at this level. Moon Se Young rides light when he partners with (6) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG who can run in to the money. (1) NEON GAMDONGIYA will appreciate the claim and inside draw.
|Selections||(4) Okay Queen (1) Neon Gamdongiya (7) Gio Star (6) Yeokjeonui Useung|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 10|