Racing NSW Stewards advised on Tuesday that they have given consideration to an application from the connections of Chautauqua, represented by Mr Rupert Legh, to permit the gelding to barrier trial in an attempt to be passed to race again. In making the application, the connections have provided the following submissions;
1. The gelding has been placed under the care of a well-respected thoroughbred behaviourist and has responded well to his methods;
2. The Stewards have received evidence of Chautauqua on 16, 17, 20 and 21 August 2018 completing a number of jump outs conducted at Rosehill Gardens Racecourse, whereby he jumped satisfactory on all occasions, including before ATC Starter, Mr Dale Jeffs, this morning, and
3. An application was made to allow Chautauqua to compete in an official barrier trial to be conducted between races at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, 25 August 2018, to simulate raceday conditions.
After giving consideration to the submissions, the Stewards have permitted Chautauqua to barrier trial in an open raceday barrier trial to be conducted at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, 25 August 2018, on the following conditions;
1. Chautauqua be required to barrier trial to the satisfaction of the Stewards in two consecutive official barrier trials prior to being given permission to race again, and
2. Should the gelding refuse to jump from the barriers in any of those official barrier trials, then Racing NSW Stewards would refuse the nominations of the gelding from barrier trials and races under the provisions of AR50.
In allowing Chautauqua to barrier trial again, the Stewards were mindful of the submissions made by connections and were encouraged by the gelding satisfactorily jumping from the barriers in numerous jump outs.
In addition, the Stewards were conscious of providing every opportunity to the connections of Chautauqua to enable the gelding to return to racing and are satisfied on the available evidence that recent failures to begin from the barriers are related to behavioural issues and not a veterinary condition that is causing the gelding to remain in the barriers.
The barrier trial will be conducted over 1000m between races 3 and 4 and nominations will close at 1pm on Wednesday, 22 August 2018. The field will be restricted to eight runners to be determined by Racing NSW.