KOREA: Busan Racecourse – Friday March 8, 2019
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
We begin with a maiden for three-year-olds and precisely half of the twelve have raced before. Of those experienced ones, (6) FINAL RULES ran well on debut for 2nd in January. She was scheduled to return two weeks ago but refused to load into the gate and had to be scratched. She’s since passed a stalls test and if she loads today, she can win. Of the others with experience, (1) MAJOR POWER has two 3rd places to her name and can aim to at least match those today. There are some promising first-timers. (7) BANJIUI YOJEONG is the pick of them having looked impressive in a trial at the end of January. She led all the way in that heat and with a good start can do the same here. (2) MILLION BEAT and (8) B.K. JOHN are others who can go well first up.
|Selections||(7) Banjiui Yojeong (6) Final Rules (2) Million Beat (1) Major Power|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(10) GIMABUDAEJANG beat three of these on his way to a close 3rd place at this distance three weeks ago. That was his second start back following six months away and he won’t need to improve by much to win here. (5) GOLDEN SHARP was one of the those beaten that day by Gimabudaejang but he previously ran 2nd at this trip in January and can be given another chance to get closer today. (4) DAENERYS IJI is another who ran in that race and can improve here. (6) YONGYEON and (12) TWO TWO WAY have both hinted at some ability and are others to take into account for the places.
|Selections||(10) Gimabudaejang (5) Golden Sharp (12) Two Two Way (6) Yongyeon|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 10, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Another maiden for three-year-olds and this one looks very competitive. We’re going to side with (8) FINE TRUMPET, who ran promisingly enough for a close at hand 4th on debut over 1000M on February 15th. He’ll be on pace here and the additional distance can suit. (11) MUNHWA SIGNATURE has raced twice so far, both at 1000M and was an improved 3rd in the latest of those. He is another who may well appreciated the longer trip. (1) WONDERFFUL IJI returned from several months out to run 4th at 1000M a month ago. She should have benefitted from that and can run even better today while both (3) GEUMGANG CHILBO and (6) SHE JUST QUEENDOM have raced at this distance before and both will be in the hunt here.
|Selections||(8) Fine Trumpet (11) Munhwa Signature (1) Wonderful Iji (6) She Just Queendom|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) TWO TWO TURBO looks to be figuring things out and comes in having dead-heated for 3rd place at this distance three weeks ago. A couple of the others who go here were behind him that day and with a but more progress today, he should go very close. (10) BAEDARI CAPER is a seventeen-race maiden but enters off the back of his best finish to date two weeks ago and should be very much in the hunt in this company. (1) SPICE ROCK weakened on her first try at this distance in January, but she’s had eight weeks off since then and can be given another chance today. (2) SECRET LEGACY and (12) DONGBANG WARRIOR are others who should be competitive.
|Selections||(8) Two Two Turbo (1) Spice Rock (10) Baedari Caper (12) Dongbang Warrior|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) BAEKDU DAEHO stepped up to this distance for the first time on February 15th and improved to a career-best 2nd place, beating three of these in the process. He’s well drawn to get to the front early and could lead all the way. (1) HAENGBOK KOREA was 3rd in that race, two-lengths behind Baekdu Deeho. He too took to the distance very nicely and it was only his second lifetime start. He may well have more scope for improvement than the horse who beat him last time and he will be vying for favourite status. The very experienced (2) NEPTUNE remains a maiden after twenty-three starts but comes in with recent form reading well and he can place. (8) WONDERFUL BALLY and (10) POWERFUL PIT are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Haengbok Korea (4) Baekdu Daeho (10) Powerful Pit (8) Wonderful Bally|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
We finally get to see some horses who have actually managed to win a race. (7) B.K. SOUND came from off the pace to record her maiden win over this distance on February 15th. She’s up in class today and can win again. (5) ULSAN JANGGUN is similarly up in class following a maiden victory last time. In his case it was over a mile, so he drops significantly back in trip but he’s a front-runner and has claims again here. (8) S S YOUNG is still a maiden but draw a line through her latest and she can have claims on a place in this company. (2) MAIN VICAR and (4) EURO GONGJU are other placing contenders.
|Selections||(7) B.K. Sound (5) Ulsan Janggun (8) S S Young (4) Euro Gongju|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Having won a weak maiden last November, (3) IRON WARRIOR returned at the beginning of February to run a solid 2nd place at this class and distance having led until the closing stages. He faces nothing like the calibre of that day’s winner here and he should come on top, leading all the way. The most credible danger is perhaps (7) RACING GALLOPER, who ran poorly last time out but has proven himself at both class and distance. He’ll challenge Iron Warrior for the early lead and can run him close. (11) CHEONSANG OREUM was a close 2nd on her first try at this class five weeks ago and is another who will be looking to get on that early pace. (4) HARVEST GOLD and (5) ROCK HARD QUEEN are others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(3) Iron Warrior (7) Racing Galloper (11) Cheonsang Oreum (5) Rock Hard Queen|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) MALIBU BYEOL was a winner at this class over 1300M on what was just his second start a month ago. He’s up in trip here but don’t rule out a repeat. (1) ALPHAKING IJI was also racing for only the second time in that very same race. He finished 3rd, just over a length behind Malibu Byeol and the extended distance today can work in his favour. (10) TOUGH GREEN has finished no worse than 4th in any of her eight outings so far. She should maintain that record today and comes in after a very solid 2nd at this distance last time out. (4) YEONGGWANG VICTORY and (6) CHIEF LEADER look best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Malibu Byeol (1) Alphaking Iji (10) Tough Green (4) Yeonggwang Victory|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||8, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) OCEAN PHOENIX ran 2nd at class and distance on February 15th. That was her first try at this class following a commanding win over the same trip in January and she has a good chance of going one better here. (3) YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE was just a length back in 4th that day. There looks to be more to come from her and she shouldn’t be far away once more. (6) YEONGSEONG ACE is up in class following back to back runner-up finishes, both of them at this distance and she shouldn’t be out of place in this field. (9) ARCADIA and (10) MAGIC STREET are other talented types and should be in the mix for at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Ocean Phoenix (3) Yeonggwangui Sidae (6) Yeongseong Ace (9) Arcadia|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
His career has been plagued by setbacks but (7) AMERICAN POWER, 3rd in the Korean Derby back in 2017, finally returned to the winner’s circle at class and distance in January. He carries a bit of extra weight today, but that race had an arguably even stronger field than this one does and he’s very much in with a chance of another win. (1) A PURE GOOD MAN and (6) SINGAEBYEOK are both up in class looking for a hat-trick of victories. Both are big dangers with A Pure Good Man marginally favoured to have more improvement in him. (10) PARK MAN and (9) ROYAL HEART came home 3rd and 4th with just a neck between them over 1800M last month and both can challenge for places here. (11) THUNDER FLY, up to this trip for the first time, is the wildcard.
|Selections||(7) American Power (1) A Pure Good Man (6) Singaebyeok (11) Thunder Fly|
|Next Best||10, 9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) SPOT made all to win over class and distance just two weeks ago. He carries an additional 3kg today but is nicely drawn to get on pace once more and repeat. (5) SHORT STOP was a surprise 2nd in that race, a big up turn in form, and he should be afforded more respect this time. A bigger danger though may be (8) JAEDOYAKUI BANSEOK, up in class having won his latest two, beating Spot in the process over 1000M in January. (2) DANGDAE GEOHAM and (4) GAME CHANGER are others who come in with recent form reading well and who should be firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Spot (8) Jaedoyakui Banseok (2) Dangdae Geoham (5) Short Stop|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 12|