Korea: Busan Racecourse – Friday October 19, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(10) FASHION WANG hasn’t been far away in recent efforts and led for much of the way around three weeks ago at this distance before ultimately finishing 3rd. Despite the wide draw she should lead again and can provide jockey Kim Hye Sun a first winner since her return form a lengthy injury absence. (7) BAENGNICHONG was 6th that day and can improve here. The other contenders all have something of the unknown about them. (2) GOLDEN REX has struggled for fitness in his latest two but has been working consistently in the lead up to this and should go better. (3) GIPPEUM DAY returns from seven months out and is under the care of a new trainer. There are no clues from any recent trials but a top jockey is booked and she may go well. (5) TAEYANGUI CHUKJE was a good 2nd on debut behind the excellent Sun Day all the way back in March. He disappointed in his return three months later and comes in here after a further four months off.
|Selections||(10) Fashion Wang (7) Baengnichong (5) Taeyangui Chukje (2) Golden Rex|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with just four of the twelve having raced before. (1) CHEONNYEONUIJILJU has raced twice, finishing a much-improved 2nd at this distance on September 28th, beating a length and a half by a good-looking winner in a fast time. He started slowly that day but ran on very well and should have too much here. Of the others with experience, (2) GOLDEN SHARP and (6) KARIN both finished 5th on their respective debuts and both will be expected to improve today. Of the first-time starters, the pick in trials was (7) GOOD DANCER. The Bart Rice-trained colt went through a couple of heats the latest of which was alongside some very experienced racehorses and he didn’t look out of place. A watching brief is advised with the rest of them although (4) DOCTOR THUNDER seemed to know what she was doing and could go well first-up. Watch the market for any clues.
|Selections||(1) Cheonnyeonuijilju (7) Good Dancer (6) Karin (2) Golden Sharp|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(9) YEONGSEONG ACE ran 2nd on debut over this distance on September 7th and while he was seven-lengths back behind a good winner, he showed enough to suggest that he has potential and can win here. (4) GIDAEHAE also ran 2nd on debut back in August. She was stepped up to 1300M for her second start five weeks ago when she finished 6th, just under a length behind (5) GOLD TICKET who was himself making his second career start. Both should be in the hunt here with Gidaehae slightly favoured back at this trip. (3) RACING GALLOPER was 3rd behind Gidaehae in that race back in August. He returns following nine weeks off and the trainer/jockey combination will attract plenty. There are two debut-makers and of the pair, (7) JOY OF LUCK looks to have the most chance of making an immediate impact.
|Selections||(9) Yeongseong Ace (4) Gidaehae (5) Gold Ticket (3) Racing Galloper|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
She’s yet to score in eight but (3) ROCK HARD QUEEN ran 4th in a significantly better race than this over this distance three weeks ago and she looks very much the one to beat here, probably looking to lead from gate to wire. She faces a very modest set of rivals, the best of which looks to be (10) GOLD TREE who ran a creditable 5th aa month ago on what was just his second career start and first at this distance. (4) WANBONG is the only one of the ten who has a top three finish to his name so far and he is third best here. Among the others we are looking for ones with the potential to improve. (1) HOT GIRL and (5) CAPTAIN COOK come closest to fitting the bill.
|Selections||(3) Rock Hard Queen (10) Gold Tree (4) Wanbong (5) Captain Cook|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Both (2) YEOWANGUI GWIHWAN and (9) ARCADIA step up in class following their respective maiden wins over this distance. Both look well-equipped to cope at this level with Arcadia slightly favoured among the pair at this stage. However, they will both need to improve if they are to beat the likely favourite. That’s (4) USEUNG TICKET, who got his own maiden win in July before running a distant 2nd to Fashion Of Marine on his first try at this level in August at 1200M. He stepped down to this trip fir his latest start three weeks ago and while he only managed 6th, it was a stronger race than this and he is well worth another chance. (3) NOPIGOM NAREUSYA is another who it might be worth taking another look at, as she drops back in trip for the first time in a long time. (7) REALLY ONE was longest shot on the board when running a 4th of 12 at this distance last month and can be given more respect today.
|Selections||(4) Useung Ticket (9) Arcadia (2) Yeowangui Gwihwan (7) Really One|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 20|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Since finishing 4th on debut back in May, (7) MISS PERFECT is unbeaten in three. She made all to win at this class over 1200M on her latest outing on August 26th and while she does carry an additional 3kg today, she’s also dropped back to the minimum distance and she’ll take some beating. (5) QUEEN THE QUEEN looks best equipped to make a race of it. It’s been a while since her solitary win but she’s been consistently close and while her 3rd place last start was slightly disappointing given she was favourite, she’s the clear second pick here. The experienced (2) YEONGGWANGUI FORE beat a couple of these on his way to 4th place at class and distance just two weeks ago and can aim for a place again. (6) YEONGCHEON STAR returns after almost six months out and trialed up encouragingly enough at the end of September.
|Selections||(7) Miss Perfect (5) Queen The Queen (2) Yeonggwangui Fore (6) Yeongcheon Star|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) GWONTOJUNGLAE is up in class having run out a length-and-a-half winner over 1000M on what was his second career start on September 7th. He is up in distance too but the manner in which he came from off the pace and ran through the line that day, suggests that it will suit and he could well win again. This is a competitive race though. (4) MR. KOREA returns from a lengthy spell out prior to which he had demonstrated plenty of ability. He looked good in a trial just last week and can go well first-up here. (6) YUHWI ran a solid class and distance 5th on her latest start a month ago and should be close here. (1) MAJOR SUN and (8) SIMON MAGIC are others for whom recent form, while slightly inconsistent, is generally positive and both are capable of challenging for at least places.
|Selections||(5) Gwontojunglae (4) Mr. Korea (6) Yuhwi (1) Major Sun|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Another competitive race with the verdict narrowly going to (2) POWER WINDY. He was a good class and distance 2nd on September 7th and is well drawn to get on the early pace here and potentially lead all the way. Joining him on that early pace is likely to be (4) BUGYEONG BOLT. He actually beat Power Windy when they raced each other in August and while the Bugyeong Bolt ran disappointingly on his return two weeks ago, he gets another chance here. In that recent race, Bugyeong Bolt was beaten by (1) TIME SPEC, a gelding who since running 9th on debut last December, has finished in the top four in all seven of his subsequent starts. That’s a record he can keep going today. (6) DANCING VICAR ran 2nd over 1400M last start and resumes after twelve weeks out. She’s still a maiden but has every chance of placing again here. (8) KOREAN QUEEN is also still a maiden but is up in class after back to back 2nd places and still looks to have improvement in her.
|Selections||(2) Power Windy (1) Time Spec (6) Dancing Vicar (4) Bugyeong Bolt|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) BOGOINNA ran a strong 4th last time out just two weeks ago and looks nicely in here go very close. The main danger is (10) CHERRY VANQUISH, who starts for the first time since getting her maiden win by a comfortable three-lengths on July 1st. She was scratched from a planned start in August but the Arch filly looks a talent and should be a big threat here, likely going straight to the front. (7) MYEONGSIN POWER steps up in class having won on his second start of a comeback after missing over a year. Back in the dim and distant past he won at this distance and looks a threat here. (4) SEULVELY was only beaten a nose by Bogoinna on her most recent outing a month ago while (11) LUCKY PRIME has only raced twice – with a full eight months between them – and can improve here.
|Selections||(10) Cherry Vanquish (5) Bogoinna (7) Myeongsin Power (4) Seulvely|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) GYOHAKSANGJANG ran 5th in the Korean Oaks and then finished in the same position when sent to Seoul for the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup last month. Both those were at 1800M but she drops back in trip to a mile today, a distance at which she won the last time she tackled it, and she should be returning to the winner’s circle today. After five runner-up finishes, (8) SINGAEBYEOK decided he liked winning two and comes in off back to back victories. He’s up in class here and back up to 1600M – a distance he didn’t fare too well at before – and a return to 2nd place looks the most likely result for him here. (7) WONDERFUL MEMORY is up in class having won at the distance on September 9th and looks to have the potential for more. (10) TANGY BITE was 5th that day but came back out just two weeks later to run 2nd, just beaten a head on the line and is accordingly promoted too. He’s already won twice at this distance and can go close again. (1) BRACHAH looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Gyohaksangjang (8) Singaebyeok (7) Wonderful Memory (10) Tangy Bite|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) NEW YORK MANGCHI has had a stop-start career to date and returned from five months out to run a good 3rd over 1800M at this class. That was a good race he drops back in trip here as clear favourite to return to winning ways. He should lead all the way. (2) SEGI GANGJA was a class and distance winner on September 9th in what was a tough contest and while he carries an extra 3.5kg this time, he warrants respect and is likely to challenge New York Mangchi for the early lead. (5) MAJOR CHAMP was 2nd to Segi Gangja that day, just half a length back, and surely gets close again today. (6) GOLD MOON steps back in trip. Last time she ran at this distance, she dead-heated for the win on August 26th at class 3 and can be competitive. (8) ACEUI SEONMUL too goes back in distance here and can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(1) New York Mangchi (2) Segi Gangja (5) Major Champ (6) Gold Moon|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 9|