Bricks and Mortar was named 2019 U.S. Horse of the Year Thursday night in Eclipse Award ceremonies at Gulfstream Park Racetrack.
The honour was unusual for a horse racing exclusively on the turf. But so impressive was Bricks and Mortar's year that he carried with him to Eclipse Award honors his entire team -- from breeder to rider.
His owners, Seth Klarman's Klaravich Stables and William H. Lawrence, were honored as the year's best in that category; his breeder, George Strawbridge Jr., won in that category; his jockey, Irad Ortiz Jr., earned the Eclipse Award in his category; and his trainer, Chad Brown, bolstered by a barn full of Grade I winners, won an Eclipse Award, too.
Bricks and Mortar, a Kentucky-bred son of Giant's Causeway, won all six starts in 2019, at six different race tracks. He wound up the year defeating some of the world's best in the Grade I Longines Breeders' Cup Turf at Santa Anita.
Now six, he stands at stud at Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Farm in Japan.
Eclipse Award honors are decided by voters in three groups: Daily Racing Form, the National Turf Writers and Broadcasters of America and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.
· Horse of the Year: Bricks and Mortar
· Two-Year-Old Male: Storm the Court
· Two-Year-Old Filly: British Idiom
· Three-Year-Old Male: Maximum Security
· Three-Year-Old Filly: Covfefe
· Older Dirt Male: Vino Rosso
· Older Dirt Female: Midnight Bisou
· Male Sprinter: Mitole
· Female Sprinter: Covfefe
· Male Turf Horse: Bricks and Mortar
· Female Turf Horse: Uni (GB)
· Steeplechase Horse: Winston C (IRE)
· Owner: Klaravich Stables Inc., and William H. Lawrence
· Breeder: George Strawbridge, Jr.
· Jockey: Irad Ortiz, Jr.
· Apprentice Jockey: Kazushi Kimura
· Trainer: Chad Brown
Bricks and Mortar (red and white silks), seen winning the Longines Breeders' Cup Turf, named U.S. Horse of the Year for 2019, Breeders' Cup photo