Bashford disqualification varied to 12 months on appeal
Decision On Penalty - Outcome Of Appeal (Mr Cliff Bashford)
Before the NSW Racing Appeals Tribunal
Licensed trainer Cliff Bashford lodged an appeal against conviction and penalty to the NSW Racing Appeals Tribunal against the decision of the Racing NSW Appeal Panel to disqualify him for a total of 18 months under AR175(n) and AR175(l).
On the application of the appellant, which was not opposed by Stewards, the penalty imposed by Stewards is stayed until further order of the Tribunal. This Appeal was heard on Monday 8th of May 2017 The Tribunal reserved it’s decision.
On 16th May 2017 the Tribunal handed down its decision:
1) Appeal dismissed
2) Stood over for penalty hearing or submissions
A Penalty hearing was held on Monday, 17th July 2017 at the offices of Racing NSW. At the conclusion of the hearing, the Tribunal handed down the following decision:
1) Appeal against penalty allowed
2) Penalty of 18-month disqualification for breach of AR175(n) varied to a 12-month disqualification
3) Penalty for breach of AR175(l) varied from a 15-month disqualification to a 12-month disqualification.
4) Penalties to be served concurrently.
5) Under AR 196(6)(a), by consent, the Tribunal defers the commencement of the penalty for 7 days from the date of this decision (noting that, as per AR196(6)(b), the appellant may not start any horse in a race during this time).
6) Effective disqualification period of 12 months to commence on 24 July 2017 and expire on 24 July 2018. Upon its expiry, the Appellant may reapply for his licence
7) 50% of the Appeal deposit is to be refunded.
NOTE: Reasons for Decision on penalty to be published at a later date.