Weir waiting on flights third week running

Leading trainer Darren Weir will depend solely on flying his horses to Brisbane for this Saturday's Doomben Cup meeting after two of his best sprinters had their campaigns prematurely terminated through travel sickness.

Weir said on Monday that El Divino and Sooboog - who were both scratched from the Doomben 10,000 when they became ill on Friday after being floated to Queensland - were unlikely to race again this campaign so he would be taking no risk with the long road trip for his team of six scheduled to head to Brisbane this week.

"Sooboog's still a bit crook and the other one (El Divino) is definitely on the improve but I'd be surprised (if he raced this campaign)," Weir said.

"I won't be floating this weekend but I wouldn't change a thing that we did - I mean we did everything right. It was just one of those unfortunate things that happen."

For Sooboog, his illness has meant his racetrack career is almost certainly over as the son of Snitzel is due to stand at Kitchwin Hills Stud in the Hunter Valley from next season.

After claiming his eighth Group 1 of the season when Volatile Mix took the South Australian Derby last Saturday, hopes are high Weir could end this weekend with his wins at the elite level in 2016/17 in double figures.

As well as the favourite Black Heart Bart in The Goodwood in Adelaide, Weir also has plans for three of his horses - Articus, Amelie's Star and Star Exhibit - to tackle Saturday's Doomben Cup over 2000 metres.

"I've got six to go up to Brisbane and hopefully we'll get a few on the flight on Tuesday and then the others can go either Wednesday or Thursday night," he said. "But all we can do it just wait on the flights and see what happens."

Weir is also keen for Volatile Mix to make his way to Queensland for next month's Derby after he unleashed an almighty finish to claim the SA Derby in Adelaide.

"We've always thought he was a nice horse," Weir said of the $16 winner. "We've been really happy with the way he's going.

"If you look at all his runs they've all been great this prep. He's just made a little progression with every start and we're looking for that to continue through to Queensland."

Weir is still to make a decision on whether Mongolian Wolf will make the trip for the Queensland Derby after he ran poorly as the warm favourite at Caulfield on Saturday.

"I want to take him up there but things didn't go well on Saturday. I don't really know what to do now," he lamented.

"On scope at the races they said he had pharyngitis and a bit of mucus but I don't know if that's a good enough excuse or not.

"He might have rode him too close but at the end of the day he didn't go any good."