Newcastle’s newest 2yo Race - The Max Lees Classic
Newcastle Jockey Club has announced the inaugural running of the $50,000 Max Lees Classic for two-year-old's over 900m on Sunday, 3rd December 2017. The race celebrates the stellar career and achievements of the renowned Newcastle & Hunter Hall of Fame trainer Max Lees.
The Max Lees Classic is a set weights and penalties race with no restrictions on entry – and it represents the perfect lead-in to both the $500,000 Inglis Nursery over 1000m on Saturday 16th December at Royal Randwick and the $200,000 Wyong Magic Millions over 1100m on Thursday 21st December.
The 900m chute at Newcastle on the new Strathayr © course proper seriously offers the perfect option for a youngster’s first or second start. A fair barrier with a 400m run into the home turn, then a sumptuously cushioned camber propelling the field into a 420m run to the line down a 25m wide straight - there would not be a better first-up experience at the races for future champions.
Enquire with the Club regarding float rebates to assist the journey to Newcastle. Other $30,000 races on the program include:
• F&M Class 2 Handicap over 1400m;
• CG&E Class 2 Handicap over 1400m;
• Benchmark 65 Handicap over 1200m;
• 3yo+ Benchmark 60 Handicap over 2300m;
• 3yo+ Maiden Handicap over 900m;
• Maiden Handicap over 1300m; and
• Provincial & Country Maiden Plate over 1300m (restricted to NSW Provincial and Country-trained horses only)
Nominations for this raceday close at 11am on Tuesday, 28th November 2017.